Inspiring your 11-16 maths students
The AMSP can help you with some great ways to engage your 11-16 students with maths, and inspire them to want to continue to study it beyond GCSE.
We organise a large programme of enrichment activities. These include enrichment events organised by the AMSP’s local Area Coordinators. These typically include a chance to see the links between maths and other subjects, and to hear about possible careers that are open to students who have taken an advanced maths qualification. They are often held at universities and are usually free of charge to groups from state-funded school and colleges.
The events calendar below provides details of our all of our enrichment events, including a range of opportunities designed and delivered according to local need by our local Area Coordinators. It is followed by details of the standard student events we offer.
Course length 3 hours
The Senior Team Mathematics Challenge (STMC) provides enrichment and challenge to teams of senior students in the UK. The competition tests students in Years 11, 12 and 13 on their mathematical, communication and teamwork skills, with teams of four competing over several rounds to reach the final.
Heats will be held in schools and universities in November and early December. Dates are set by local organisers, and the grand final is held in London in February.
Course length 3 hours
Maths Feast is a fun educational challenge for Year 10 students which tests problem-solving and teamwork skills. Teams of four students will test their maths skills with our all-you-can-eat feast of problems!
There are several rounds requiring different skills and strategies for success. Each event takes between two and three hours, and awards will be given for good teamwork and for the winning team of each round.
In addition, we can arrange in-school enrichment sessions for state-funded schools focusing on Core Maths, AS/A level Mathematics and AS/A level Further Mathematics. These offer students the opportunity to encounter areas of maths outside of the curriculum and see how an area of maths can be used in real world situations. Contact your local AMSP Area Coordinator to discuss your needs.
You might also be interested in:
- the enrichment resources and sources of recreational maths we’ve put together for you to use with your students
- helping your students find out about careers involving maths - this careers self-audit can be used to review your strategy and identify aspects to develop
- extending and enriching the curriculum you offer your students to include the AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Mathematics or OCR FSMQ Level 3 in Additional Mathematics, which can both be taught alongside GCSE Mathematics
- ideas for advising and encouraging your students to choose to study a level 3 maths course
- a competition, run by the AMSP, which challenges students to draw on their problem-solving skills.