The AMSP can support you in setting up and teaching Core Maths, providing advice and information, resources and professional development.
If you would like to speak to a member of the AMSP team about support for teaching Core Maths in your school/college then please contact us [email protected].
Advice and guidance
The AMSP can offer tailored advice and guidance from our Core Maths Specialist Leads and Core Maths Advocates.
The AMSP provides a wide range of flexible professional development and support, including:
- online and blended courses to develop subject knowledge and pedagogy for teachers who are new to teaching Core Maths and those with more experience
- Getting Started webinars aimed at schools and colleges who plan to offer the course in the future
- online festivals featuring inspirational speakers to enthuse, challenge and enlighten teachers with ideas for Core Maths lessons
- specification networks for teachers to discuss and share experiences with teachers following the same Core Maths specification
- online courses for teachers of geography, psychology and biology to build their confidence in teaching the mathematical content of their A level subject and make links with Core Maths
Recruiting students to the course
The AMSP provides a range of enrichment activities and resources to help you promote Core Maths to students in KS4, including;
- a large programme of enrichment events to inspire and inform students
- leaflets, postcards and posters promoting Core Maths, linking the maths with other subjects
- a suite of ‘Why study maths?’ presentation resources, designed to engage and inform students and their parents about the benefits of studying maths beyond GCSE
- two online Core Maths tasters for students to try out topics they will meet when studying Core Maths
- World of Work resources, showcasing the maths in different careers, with a short video and associated activities, giving students a real taste of what the job may entail
Resources for teaching Core Maths
The AMSP has developed a range of resources to support the teaching and study of Core Maths. We have collected these together on our Core Maths resources page.
The AMSP Core Maths Platform has a comprehensive collection of teaching and learning materials for the main Core Maths specifications, including schemes of work, assessments and supported self-study materials.
Additional 16-19 Funding
In 2017 the DfE introduced the Advanced Maths Premium (AMP) which is designed to encourage greater participation in the advanced maths qualifications. Core Maths, is a qualifying subject for the AMP, as well as AS and A level Mathematics and Further Mathematics. The premium is currently £600 per year for each additional student, above a baseline, studying an advanced maths qualification. The AMP premium was first included in 16-19 funding allocations for academic year 2019-20. It has been paid to schools/colleges in 2020-21, 2021-22 and 2022-23. The AMP will continue to be funded in academic year 2023- 24.
For full details of the AMP please refer to the DfE’s guidance for schools and colleges.
Schools/colleges may also be eligible for the Large Programme Uplift funding, equivalent to a 10% uplift to the national funding rate per student, for any students who are following a large programme of study, such as 4 or more full A levels, or a large Tech Bacc programme, equivalent to 4 A levels. For a large Tech Bacc programme, eligible students are those who successfully complete Tech Bacc programmes that include the extended project qualification and a Tech level that is a minimum of 1,050 GLH plus Core Maths or AS Mathematics.
For full details of the Large Programme Uplift please refer to the DfE’s guidance for schools and colleges