- These terms
- What these terms cover
These are the terms and conditions under which You will be able to attend an Event organised by the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme (hereafter, ‘The AMSP’, ‘We’, ‘Us’, ‘Our’).
- Why you should read these terms
Please read these terms carefully before You register for an Event. These terms tell You who We are, how You register and pay for the Event, and how You or We may cancel the Event or Your attendance at it. These terms also set out what the expectations are of both You and Us at the Event, as well as other important information.
- Our contact with you
The contract between us allowing You to attend the Event comprises these terms and conditions, together with the details set out as part of Your online registration (which includes information about, in particular, the cost of the Event). The contract between us comes into effect when You submit Your online registration. This contract is between You and Us. No other person shall have any rights to enforce any of its terms.
- Are you booking for others to attend the Event?
If You have made a booking for other individuals to attend the Event (for example, where You are a school making a booking for specified teachers to attend the Event), You must make sure that the individuals attending the Event comply with these terms and conditions. You should therefore make sure they understand and accept these terms before You complete the online registration.
- What these terms cover
- Use of defined words which have particular meanings
- Event: means the event or course organised by the AMSP that You are applying for, as detailed on the AMSP website (https://amsp.org.uk)
- Fee: means the fee that you must pay to attend the Event, as detailed on the AMSP website.
- Venue: means the venue at which the Event is to take pace, as detailed on the AMSP website or subsequently communicated to you by the AMSP.
- Writing: when we use the words “writing” or “written” in these terms, this includes emails.
- Event Outside of Our Control: means an event which is beyond the reasonable control of the AMSP. Please bear in mind that this includes any imposition of national or local restrictions.
- Content: means all presentations and teaching, learning or training materials provided to You during the Event.
- Information about the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme (AMSP) and how to contact us
- Who we are
We are the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme, a government-funded initiative, managed by Mathematics in Education and Industry (MEI). MEI is a private company limited by guarantee established in England and Wales. MEI’s company registration number is 03265490 and their registered office is at Monckton House Epsom Centre, White Horse Business Park, Trowbridge, Wiltshire, BA14 0XG. MEI is a registered charity in England and Wales under charity number 1058911.
- How to contact us
You can contact Us by telephoning our customer support team at +44 (0)1225 776776 or by writing to us at [email protected] or at:
Monckton House, Epsom
White Horse Business Park
- How we may contact you
If we have to contact You, we will do so by telephone or by writing to you at the email address or postal address You provided to us in your registration.
- Who we are
- Registration for an Event
- By submitting an online registration, You acknowledge and accept these terms and conditions and confirm that the information you submit is accurate, true and complete.
- Following your submission of an online registration, We will send You an email confirming that Your registration has been received.
- We reserve the right to reject any registration request received, but will act reasonably in doing so. We will notify you by email if a registration is rejected. In those circumstances, the contract between us will be cancelled with immediate effect, and We will refund in full any Fee that has been paid.
- You will receive full details of the Event, including joining instructions and any other information which We think You will need in order to participate in the Event, via email to the email address provided on the registration form.
- If you are applying for Our Teaching A level Mathematics (TAM) course:
- Places will only be offered to teachers who have AS/A level or IB Mathematics teaching on their timetable. This teaching should include the teaching of some pure maths content within AS/A level or IB Mathematics (i.e. not only statistics and/or mechanics content).
- Your AS/A level or IB Mathematics teaching must be timetabled lessons to an entire class for at least 2 hours or 2 lessons per week for the whole academic year in which you are doing the TAM course. You must be the member of staff who has sole responsibility for planning and teaching these lessons each week.
- You should also be aware that if this teaching does not materialise or is withdrawn at any stage in the academic year you would have to withdraw from the course and no refund would be made.
- If you are unsure whether your proposed teaching will satisfy these requirements then please contact the Teacher Support Team with your query either on 01225 716494 or via [email protected].
- Fees and invoicing
- The Fee that you agree to pay for attendance at the Event is set out in Your online registration. After Your online registration has been confirmed, We will send you an invoice for the Fee, as per your instructions in Your online registration.
- The Fee must be paid no later than 30 days following Your receipt of the invoice. If the Fee is not paid by that date, the AMSP will be entitled to cancel Your attendance at the Event. Any such cancellation will be notified to you by email, to the same address to which the invoice was sent.
- Cancelling the Event or Your attendance at it
- If you no longer wish to attend an event for which there is a fee:
- If You notify Us that You no longer wish to attend the Event within the time frame detailed for the Event, We may, at Our sole discretion, agree to cancel the invoice or provide You with a full or partial refund, where we consider it reasonable to do so.
- Full details about time frames for cancellation can be found on the application form for your event and/or the confirmation of booking email. To enquire about arrangements for cancellation please contact [email protected].
- In considering whether to issue a refund, we will have regard to whether We are able to allocate Your place to someone else, and to any unrecoverable costs to the AMSP which arise as a result of that cancellation.
- If you no longer wish to attend a free event You may notify Us that You no longer wish to attend the Event at any stage, but we would appreciate as much notice as possible so that we retain the opportunity to offer Your place to another participant.
- Please note that in cases where an Event attracts a subsidy, attendance is normally a requirement for these to be paid. If you fail to notify Us of non-attendance, you agree to forfeit the payment of any applicable subsidy.
- We reserve the right to refuse further applications from schools/colleges whose teachers repeatedly fail to notify us that they will not be attending or cancel too close to the date of the event for their place to be reallocated.
- In some circumstances, it may be possible to transfer your application for an event to another person, normally a person also employed at the same school or college.
- Please contact [email protected] as soon as possible to request such a transfer.
- We reserve the right to refuse a transfer if it is not practical to action.
- Places on Extended Courses are never transferable.
- Any professional development subsidies are not normally transferable but please enquire with the course lead should this be relevant to you.
- The Event is subject to cancellation or postponement at Our discretion. This includes where an event is under-subscribed. If We cancel or postpone the Event, We will notify You by email as soon as possible and you will be given the option to cancel your booking and receive a refund in full.
- If an Event Outside of Our Control occurs, which results in Us being unable to hold the Event as planned, we will take reasonable steps to rearrange the Event to another date and/or another location, and will notify You of the rearranged Event. Depending on the circumstances, those reasonable steps may include hosting the Event as an online Event, rather than in-person.
- If we have to rearrange the Event as a result of the occurrence of an Event Outside of Our Control, You will be entitled to attend the rearranged Event. If You choose to cancel Your attendance at the Event instead, the AMSP will refund you a reasonable proportion of the Fee that You have paid (having regard to any unrecoverable costs to the AMSP which arise as a result of Your cancellation). The amount of any such refund will be at Our discretion.
- Other than for a refund of the Fee as set out in this clause 6, We accept no liability to You for any losses incurred by You (including but not limited to any expenditure such as travel expenses, teacher release or any loss of income) that You incur as a result of Us cancelling, postponing or altering the Event.
- If you no longer wish to attend an event for which there is a fee:
- Our requirements of You at the Event
- When attending the Event, You must ensure that You observe all rules and instructions relating to the use of the Venue which We or the Venue make known to you. You must follow any relevant guidance or instructions on any equipment, signs or notices, and any parking guidelines, and comply with any policies or procedures that we or the Venue make known to You.
- Where any equipment or facilities are made available to you at the Venue, You must use those equipment and facilities responsibly at all times and in accordance with any instructions provided.
- You will be responsible for the costs of repair and replacement of any damage and breakages that you cause at the Venue, and You must promptly report any damage, breakages or losses that occur or that you become aware of at the Event.
- You must not act in an improper, rude or disorderly manner towards staff, or any other users of the Venue, and you must treat all staff at the Venue and other attendees with respect.
- Students attending an Event are expected to behave in a respectful way towards each other and all staff and speakers at enrichment events. Unacceptable or inappropriate behaviour from unaccompanied students may result in their school being refused places at other AMSP events.
- Students up to age 16 must be accompanied by their teachers who remain in loco parentis at all times and are responsible for their students’ safety.
- An emergency contact number is required when students are unaccompanied. For group bookings this should be a school number. For individual bookings this can be either a school contact or a parent/guardian.
- If You break these rules, or any other requirements of You which are set out in these terms, You may have to compensate Us, and We may not permit You to attend future events organised by the AMSP.
- Content and Intellectual Property
- Copyright and all other intellectual property rights in all Content is owned by the AMSP or its licensors, or by presenters at the Event who produce that Content. You will not acquire any right, title or interest in any intellectual property rights in that Content.
- The Content is provided on an “as is” basis without any warranties of any kind (express or implied). MEI excludes to the fullest extent permitted by law all liabilities, costs, claims, damages, losses and/or expenses arising from any inaccuracy or omission in the Content.
- The Content may comprise educational resources which have been developed by us or on our behalf. You may use those educational resources:
- for Your personal use; or
- where You are a teacher, for Your use in the teaching of students in Your school or college.
- You must not use any part of the Content (including, in particular, any educational materials) other than for the purposes described above. In particular, You must not use any part of the Content for commercial purposes.
- You must not modify any Content that is made available to You in any way other than for Your own personal use or for use when teaching students in Your school or college. Where You do modify such materials, any intellectual property rights in those modified materials shall be deemed assigned to Us. You must not use any illustrations, photographs or any graphics separately from any accompanying text, without Our prior written consent.
- Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of all Content must always be acknowledged.
- Any access to MEI’s online learning platform, Integral, provided as part of the event is subject to Integral’s terms and conditions; this includes but is not limited to the statement:
“Except to the extent such activities are expressly agreed by the parties … your rights to benefit from the Content does not permit you, or the Users, to … reproduce, publish, distribute, redistribute, broadcast, transmit, modify, adapt, edit, abstract, create derivative works of, store, archive, display in a public setting (not including your own school/college), sell, upload to a shared portal/intranet/any other website; or in any way otherwise commercially exploit any part of the Content”
- If You use any Content in breach of these terms, You may be prevented from attending future AMSP events or accessing other AMSP materials through Our website or otherwise, and you must, at our option, return or destroy any copies of the Content that you have made.
- Views expressed by speakers, exhibitors and sponsors at the Event are their own. The AMSP is not responsible or liable for any advice given, or views expressed, by any speaker and/or sponsor or in any material provided.
- Recordings of the Event
- You must not audio or video record any part of the Event using any recording device, unless specifically agreed by Us in writing.
- Live online sessions will normally be recorded and these recordings will normally be available to all participants; Your name as it appears on your application form will be visible to other users during the session and in the recording.
- The AMSP and guest speakers may make recordings or take photographs of the Event; We will process Your personal data (including Your image and recordings of Your voice) in line with our privacy notice. Please note that Your image may be captured in photographs and / or films of the Event, and that those photos and films may be reproduced for promotional purposes, in advertising or in podcasts in future Events.
- Where applicable, We will put a process in place allowing You to let Us know that you prefer that your image is not used in this way, and will outline that process to you in the joining instructions. Please make sure that you comply with that process, if you prefer that Your image is not used.
- Data protection and privacy
- Any data, including personal data, that you provide to the AMSP in relation to the Event will be processed in accordance with MEI’s Privacy Notice.
- Where appropriate, we may share your personal data with other parties who we are contractually engaged with. In particular, we may need to share some of your personal data with the Venue which is used to host the Event, in order that they can properly host the Event and comply with their legal and regulatory obligations. Please refer to our Privacy Notice in that regard.
- In cases where You are attending Problem Solving Matters:
- Mathematics in Education and Industry (MEI) may store your data on a database in accordance with the Data Protection Act and it may be used for research and reporting purposes.
- For research and monitoring purposes only, this data may also be shared with the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE), the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) or the University and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) and our partners including colleges and Higher Education Access Tracker service subscribers, Connexions, the National Data Service and Study Higher to help evaluate the effectiveness of this activity as part of the government policy to widen access to and participation in higher education and to develop future policy.
- MEI and its university partners will not use your record in a way that would affect you individually. We will not release data to anyone who is unauthorised. Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you have the right to a copy of the data held about you by us. If you have any concerns about the use of data for these purposes or would like a copy of the data you have supplied directly to us, requests should be made in writing to the Student Engagement Operations Team, MEI Office, Monckton House, Epsom Centre, White Horse Business Park, Trowbridge, BA14 0XG.
- We require all third parties to whom we transfer your data to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law. Details of how the data that you submit will be used are set out in MEI’s Privacy Notice.
- Our liability to you
- The AMSP accepts no responsibility in relation to technical faults occurring in your centre or with your IT equipment prior to or during an event. For fee paying events, no refund will be given if your equipment fails during or before an event and you are unable to take part.
- The AMSP will not be liable for any actual or indirect losses or costs incurred by You in connection with any aspect of their equipment and/or its failure during an event. It is Your responsibility to ensure that suitable equipment is available and that it has been correctly set up before the event and that support has been sought before the first session if any technical issues prevent the participant from accessing the online classroom and its facilities.
- We do not exclude or limit our liability where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors.
- We will have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of revenue, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity, or any indirect or consequential loss arising under or in connection with these terms and the Event, however caused; and
- Our aggregate liability to You for any loss arising under or in connection with this agreement, and whether arising in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty or otherwise, shall in no circumstances exceed the amount of the Fee that You have paid to Us.
- Which country’s laws apply to any disputes
- These terms are governed by the Law of England and Wales.
- You and We can only bring legal proceedings under these terms and conditions in the English and Welsh courts.