Core Maths resources
Core Maths Resources for Registered Schools
The Core Maths Platform is available to all AMSP registered schools. It includes a growing set of specification specific Core Maths resources for teachers and students. To get access, use the link above to register your school/college. After your registration has been processed by our team, the teacher named as your contact will receive a username and password, giving access to the Core Maths resources for the qualification(s) you specified on the registration form. Any queries, please contact [email protected].
Core Maths Skills online course
Students who are new to studying Core Maths may find it helpful to revise the skills they’ll need to use in their studies. The same goes for students who are starting a non-maths A level subject with some mathematical content, such as Biology, Psychology, Geography or Business, and/or a level 3 vocational course.
The AMSP’s self-study Core Maths Skills course is designed for just that. It supports students with the transition to their new level 3 courses and is particularly useful for them to use during the autumn term.
The course covers topics such as Estimation and accuracy, Interpreting graphs and charts (statistics for life), and Probability. It provides full solutions to all questions and automatically marked online tests.
This course is hosted in Integral and requires an individual login to gain access and allow progress to be tracked.
There are two ways to get access:
- Teachers can sign up their students by completing this simple form.
- Students can register for free access themselves, if they are not signed up by a school or college.
Teachers in AMSP-registered schools/colleges can also access the course (and view its content) using the school/college's shared Integral account. If your school/college is not registered with the AMSP yet, you can register now for free.
Learning at home
This collection of resources has been put together to help students with learning at home.
Visualising inequality (by hand)
These resources provide opportunities for students to explore economic inequality data and graphs, and to consider how hand-drawn data visualisations can be used to tell a story with data. They also link to careers and highlight the importance of mathematical skills in Social Science.
Visualising the Climate Crisis
These resources are designed to raise awareness of the impact of fast fashion on the climate. There are four different versions of the resource, each aimed at a different age range. They come with a presentation, teacher notes and a worksheet.
Where maths meets... the world of work!
These videos and activities are designed to use in class with your students. The activities all contain contextualised teaching points linked to careers and will help you to achieve Gatsby Benchmark 4 (linking careers to the curriculum). Some of the activities are written by employers and so are particularly authentic.
You can find lots of resources for Core Maths on these websites:
- Cat Van Sarloos, the AMSP's Core Maths Professional Development Lead, has created a padlet which contains all the information you need to get started with Core Maths, including links to specifications, resources and free PD.
- The Mathematics Assessment Project. This site contains lessons designed by the University of Nottingham Shell Centre. There are Classroom Challenges and lessons that support teachers in formative assessment. They are based on the US Common Core State Standards, but many of them are useful for Core Maths, however be aware US currency and US terminology are used in some activities. This site also has a PD module, and ideas for assessments.
- The STEM library includes the extensive resources developed by the Core Maths Support Programme (CMSP).
- QUIBANS (Questions Inspired By A News Story) is blog site with lots of useful starting points.
- Nuffield Resources for Core Maths is a collection of resources tailored to each Core Maths specification.
- Nrich - Core Maths offers a rich variety of resources linked to the different areas of the Core Maths curriculum, such as problem solving, finance, graphs and statistics.
- The MEI Critical Maths resources are designed to enable students to think about real problems using mathematics. They are suitable for all Core Maths specifications.
- MEI Core Maths resources were developed for the OCR(MEI) Core Maths qualifications and are free to centres offering these courses.
For exam board specific resources, see:
The AMSP provides free materials to help you to promote Core Maths to your students and their parents/carers.
We've also developed a 30 minute presentation for students and parents/carers about the importance of studying maths post-GCSE. It outlines the options available, and provides compelling reasons for choosing to take an advanced maths qualification.