The routine of working from home presents many challenges in these unprecedented times.
Getting up in the morning before…
- Breakfast for me and my two children.
- Set them up for their own learning for the day, outlining the structure they need to follow.
- Making sure all my pupils have work set to complete that day by 9am.
- Be on the end of an email or chat to support pupils’ access to what I want them to do.
- Responding to emails from colleagues.
- Being HoD chair virtual meetings and checking in with all of the team to make sure we all know what we are doing.
That doesn’t actually sound too bad until…
- My children are unable to do their own learning and find me in the office more times than I care to count.
- Why has the internet stopped?
- I have never written so many emails!
- Being forced to do Joe Wicks every day – I had never heard of him before!
- Every pupil from a class of 30 contacting me at the same time – I thought the work was so accessible.
- Missing lunchtime more than I did at school!
Whatever your challenge is at home, the AMSP are here to help with online resources and professional development.
Make sure you contact your local Area Coordinator for advice and support. We are all in this together, and it is important that pupils still engage in their maths learning and that you engage in your own professional development. Stay safe!
By Simon Dawson