New AMSP sustained course: New and Aspiring Heads of Maths (HOM)
Friday 4th June 2021
We've added an exciting new title to our range of comprehensive sustained professional development courses that support you with subject knowledge and pedagogy. New and Aspiring Heads of Maths (HOM) aims to support you in developing the skills required to be a successful head of department, with a strong focus on issues specific to maths.
HOM is designed for those who are in their first few years of being a head of maths and would like to develop their skills, or teachers who have some responsibility and are looking towards a head of department role in the future. The course would also be suitable for teachers from 11-16 schools despite some emphasis on post-sixteen maths. It will take place over a period of six months, and features three study days and access to a dedicated course tutor.
The course will explore a range of strategies to create a rich mathematical learning environment for your students and staff, consider ways of developing the potential within your team, and explore some of the more ambitious aspects of the role including managing the transition from GCSE to post-sixteen maths.
You can view more information and apply for this course on the AMSP website.
This course is free of charge to teachers working in state-funded schools and colleges in England. Schools and colleges located within Priority Areas are eligible to receive a subsidy of £250 per study day. Please note that you must be teaching in a state-funded school or college in England in order to participate in this course.
If this course isn't relevant for you, you might be interested in some of the other sustained courses that are currently open for applications:
- Pedagogy for A level Mathematics (PALM), which aims to improve your understanding of the underlying principles of effective A level Mathematics teaching.
- Teaching A level Mathematics (TAM), which aims to develop your confidence with the concepts in AS/A level Mathematics.
- Teaching Discrete Mathematics 1 (TD1), which aims to build your confidence in teaching discrete maths content.
- Teaching Further Mathematics 1 (TFM1), which aims to support your teaching and understanding of A level Further Mathematics.
- Teaching Mechanics 1 (TM1), which aims to provide you with a deeper understanding of the principles of mechanics.
- Teaching Statistics 1 (TS1), which aims to develop your understanding of statistics as a problem-solving discipline.