Building Maths ResilienceOnline
How can you help build resilience in your maths students?
This short online session will look at which pedagogical approaches help to do this, and also what language and behaviours improve pupils' independence and resilience when tackling mathematical problems.
Do you have students...
- who are scared to put their hand up?
- who are anxious about starting a written question in case they can't finish it?
- who are afraid of their book looking "messy" if they get it wrong?
Then this session is for you!
- Understand why some pupils give up when tackling maths problems
- Explore which pedagogical approaches help build resilience in learners
- Understand how reinforcing a Growth Mindset can help build resilience in young learners
Who will benefit from attending?
This session would benefit any teachers of Key Stage 3 or 4 mathematics, whether they are NQTs or experienced teachers or Heads of Department, especially if they are noticing that pupils in their lessons "give up" or lack "stickability". Teaching Assistants working within maths departments will also find this session useful.
Materials and Equipment
This session will be held on Zoom. A registration link will be sent nearer the time - please do not share this link with anyone else.
Teachers (including NQTs and Teaching Assistants) in state-funded schools and colleges.
11-16 maths, A level Mathematics
Problem solving, Reasoning
Live Online Professional Development
Wed 2nd Feb 2022
16:00 - 17:30
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard