Teaching with the Large Data SetOnline
AS and A level mathematics specifications require students to:
- become familiar with a specific large data set
- use technology to explore the data set
- interpret real data
- use data to investigate questions arising in real contexts
The large data set is an excellent tool to address these requirements. We will consider strategies to access the large data set throughout the statistics component of the course and how it can be used to infuse our teaching and add richness and context to our lessons.
- Develop strategies for working with large data sets
- Consider how technology can best be used to explore large data sets
- Investigate strategies to ensure students become familiar with both the content and the context of large data sets
Who will benefit from attending?
Teachers currently teaching, or planning to teach, the applied content of A level maths.
Both experienced and inexperienced teachers are welcome to attend.
- Large data set requirements; what is meant by familiarity with the large data set?
- The use of stimulus questions and activities; interpreting graphs and summary statistics
- Making use of technology to promote familiarity and understanding of the large data set
- Teaching concepts through the large data set
Materials and Equipment
This meeting will be held on Zoom. An invitation will be sent to you within 24 hours of event start. Please do not share this link with anyone else.
You are advised to use a headset or headphones with an inline microphone to provide the best sound quality and to prevent audio issues for other users. A laptop with a built-in webcam and microphone may be sufficient if you’re in a quiet area but please take the time to check this before the session.
Discussion will be both via audio and the chat box. Please join with a microphone if possible. Joining with your camera on would be most welcome but, of course, not compulsory.
As part of our safeguarding procedures please note the following: (i) It is important that you log in with the names you used when you registered for the course otherwise you may not be allowed into the room. (ii) You must not pass on any of the registration or Zoom meeting details to anyone else.
A level Mathematics
Statistics, Problem solving
Live Online Professional Development
East of England
Mon 7th Feb 2022
16:30 - 17:30
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
Kristin Coldwell, Ian Clarke
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard