New to teaching Core Maths ProgrammeOrganised by Matrix Herts
This new programme is now recruiting for 2021/2022. For further information please contact your local Maths Hub.
These extended professional development programmes are run in partnership by Maths Hubs and the AMSP.
Primary focus: Core Maths pedagogy
The purpose of this programme is to support teachers, who are new to teaching Core Maths, in developing specialist knowledge for teaching Core Maths and to increase their confidence in teaching the course.
The programme has a primary focus on Core Maths subject knowledge and pedagogy and will be based on these six key themes which are common to all the Core Maths specifications:
- Using contextualised problem-solving
- Applying Fermi estimation and modelling
- Developing critical analysis
- Making sense of finance
- Using the pre-release materials
- Exploring statistics.
Technology and online teaching will be underlying themes throughout the programme.
- Participants will apply related pedagogical approaches in their Core Maths teaching and plan sequences of lessons to promote student understanding, confidence and progression
- Understand the philosophy of Core Maths, with its approach to maths through contextualised problem-solving
- Develop their subject knowledge in these six areas: Contextualised problem solving; Fermi estimation and modelling; Critical analysis; Finance; Pre-release materials; Statistics
- Develop their understanding of how online learning and technology can be used to support Core Maths teaching
Who will benefit from attending?
This programme is for teachers who are new to teaching Core Maths for the first time and are teaching a Core Maths class during the Autumn and Spring terms of 2021 and 2022.
Schools/colleges must be able to commit to the full academic year’s programme. This involves a total of three days of face-to-face (or equivalent) support across the academic year, as well as classroom and school-based activity.
State-funded schools, colleges and academies can participate in Work Groups for free.
Work Groups are hosted by
East of England
Fri 8th Oct 2021
14:30 - 16:30
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard