Core Maths supporting other subjects
Studying Core Maths helps students to develop their quantitative and problem-solving skills, and improves their confidence with the mathematical content of other level 3 courses that they may be taking. In this session we will explore how to get the most out of Core Maths by working effectively with other subject areas.
Who will benefit from attending?
This event will be beneficial to all schools and colleges whether you offer Core Maths yet or not. It will help you establish, strengthen and grow the course within your institution.
This event will be most effective for your school/college if at least one member of the maths department attends along with a teacher from a different subject which has mathematical requirements. Level 3 Core Maths is particularly useful for students studying Biology, Geography and Psychology. It will also be useful for Heads of Sixth Form and members of SLT.
Please share this event with colleagues from other departments and encourage them to come along.
- Get an overview of the maths content in other A levels and the crossover with Core Maths
- Try out an activity on significance that can be used in maths, biology, geography or psychology lessons and discover where to find more resources
- Get an outline of the free Professional Development opportunities available to maths teachers and teachers of other subject areas in 2021-2022
- Hear from teachers at Cardinal Newman Sixth Form College on their experience setting up and establishing Core Maths:
- Using non-specialists to teach Core Maths
- Effective cross department planning
- Measuring impact
This course is free for teachers from state-funded schools, colleges and academies in England. Teachers based in other parts of the UK or in independent schools and colleges may apply, but places will only be allocated if there is availability.
This event is free of charge.
Problem solving, Curriculum planning, Maths in other subjects
Live Online Professional Development
Mon 14th Jun 2021
16:00 - 17:30
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard