Next Steps for Your A level StudentsOnline
This two-session online twilight course supports teachers in understanding how best to assist their students with the transition to undergraduate study, and how to prepare them for the mathematical expectations of university admissions tests.
What are the mathematical expectations of universities for students starting their courses? Mathematical skills are important for many undergraduate degree schemes. This course will explain what indications of mathematical ability universities are looking for when they receive a UCAS application. It will also give up-to-date information about admissions tests. The number of entry exams required by universities has risen in the past few years. Some are compulsory, while some simply reduce entrance requirements. There are 11 admissions tests that have mathematical content and these are for a variety of subjects. This course will explain what support students will need in school and where else they can access support to ensure that they gain the knowledge and cultural capital they need to succeed.
- To provide clear information about university expectations for mathematical understanding in a variety of undergraduate degrees
- To provide information about the range of university admissions tests that contain mathematics
- To provide ideas to widen students experience of mathematics
- To provide activities that can be integrated into maths lessons to help students understand the transition to university mathematics
Who will benefit from attending?
The course is for maths teachers who wish to gain clear information about the mathematical expectations of a variety of degree schemes and how students can be supported in making a successful transition to higher education. It will also offer an opportunity for delegates to look at pre-university examinations such as STEP, MAT and TMUA, and discuss how schools can help students to prepare for them.
This course takes place over 2 online sessions:
- Wed 23rd June 2021
- Wed 7th July 2021
Mathematics at University
- In this session, delegates will see which type of degree courses benefit from students having studied level 3 maths, why maths is useful for these degree schemes and how you can prepare your students to make a successful transition to university
Wider Mathematical Development
- In this session, delegates will explore some mathematical extracurricular and enrichment activities that are available to engage your students in maths activities beyond the classroom
- This session will give delegates information relating to the university admissions process
Mathematics for University Admissions Tests
- This session provides an opportunity for delegates to look at pre-university tests such as STEP, MAT and TMUA, and how schools can help their students to prepare for them
- This session will give delegates a chance to reflect on the course and plan their next steps
This course is for delegates from state-funded schools, colleges and academies. Teachers from independent schools may apply, but places will only be granted if there is availability.
The course is free.
University admissions tests, A level Mathematics, A level Further Mathematics
Pure, Problem solving, Leadership
Live Online Professional Development
Wed 23rd Jun 2021
15:30 - 18:00
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
Teacher Support Admin Team
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard