London North Teacher Network : the Maths of Migration
Who will benefit from attending?
Teachers who want their delivery of statistics to be real and exciting, with materials that have been road-tested.
The Maths of Migration: We will be joined by Jess Barnecutt from Oaklands School who will share a four-lesson unit of work they have developed to get students to use a real data set from one of Europe’s largest academic research projects, along with a powerful visual story. This has helped their pupils critically engage with the realities of migration - through maths. The unit provides KS3/4 students with an opportunity to:
- Apply statistics to authentic data and develop a stronger conceptual understanding
- Explore a big data set, hugely beneficial in preparing students for A Level mathematics
- Think critically about migration
- Make links across the curriculum - with links to art, English, drama, and ICT
- Use data to support an argument and experiment with novel ways to present data
- As always please encourage colleagues in your school and others to join. This session is particularly useful for KS3 and 4 teachers as well as those teaching the large data set.
The maths of migration is a project that would lend itself to a home learning project and would be especially useful for year 11 students in their transition to AS/A Level maths.
There will be plenty of opportunity to ask questions about how the project has worked in a London School and to engage with the data.
Materials and Equipment
You will need a computer with wifi, mic and Microsoft Excel.
Places at the workshop will be allocated on a 'first come first served' basis, for teachers at State schools.
If you work at an independent school and interested in attending, please register in the normal way and you will allocated a place on Friday 3rd July if there are any available.
11-16 maths, A level Mathematics, Core Maths
Statistics, Use of technology
Live Online Professional Development
London and South East
Wed 8th Jul 2020
14:00 - 16:00
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard