AS level Compulsory Further Pure RevisionOxford
This revision day covers A level Further Compulsory Pure topics which are common to all specifications, and taught in the first year of a two year course.
- To give students an overview of the Pure content of their A level Further Maths course.
Who will benefit from attending?
Students of A level Further Maths either in year 12 taking AS or internal exams, or in year 13 who want to recap the Common Pure content of the first year of their course.
- Construct proofs using mathematical induction
- COMPLEX NUMBERS
- Solve any quadratic equation with real coefficients, or cubics or quartics with information given in order to deduce roots
- Add, subtract, multiply or divide complex numbers
- Understand and use complex conjugates
- Use and interpret Argand diagrams
- Convert between the Cartesian and modulus-argument forms of a complex number
- Multiply and divide complex numbers in modulus-argument form
- Construct and interpret simple loci in the Argand diagram
- Add, subtract and multiply conformable matrices, and multiply a matrix by a scalar
- Understand and use zero and identity matrices
- Use matrices to represent linear transformations in 2D, successie transformations, single transformations in 3D
- Find invariant points and lines for a linear transformation
- Calculate determinants of 2x2 matrices
- Understand and use singular and non-singular matrices, properties of inverse matrices
- Calculate and use the inverse of non-singular 2x2 matrices
- FURTHER ALGEBRA AND FUNCTIONS
- Understand and use the relationship between roots and coefficients of polynomial equations up to quartics
- Form a polynomial equation whose roots are a linear transformation of the roots of a given polynomial equation
Materials and Equipment
You will need to bring pens, paper, and your calculator.
You should bring your own lunch but light refreshments will be available in the morning and afternoon breaks.
If you want to attend both this revision day and the one on Saturday 4th April than the cost is £40 for both. Please indicate when you apply.
Year 12 & 13
A level Further Mathematics
The Mathematical Institute, University of Oxford,
Andrew Wiles Building, Radcliffe Observatory Quarter,
Sat 4th Apr 2020
09:00 - 17:00
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact: