AS Maths: Pure Absolute Beginners
Live Online Professional Development (LOPD) courses form a programme of innovative online courses, designed to enable teachers to develop their teaching with confidence in a convenient, stress-free way.
LOPD courses are delivered using a browser-based online classroom that allows participants to collaborate online in real time. The courses aim both to cover subject content common to all current specifications and to facilitate the exchange of teaching ideas. Rather than attending a one or two day course away from school or college, participants will use the internet to meet weekly online.
This course comprises 12 online sessions with an experienced tutor, each between 60 and 90 minutes in length and delivered in a small group of teachers allowing opportunities for interaction and discussion.
- To provide teachers who have never offered AS or A level pure maths before with an opportunity to access expert tuition for the content along with ideas for delivering material in an active and engaging way.
- To provide opportunities to interact with the course tutors and other delegates in a small group to discuss subject content, resources and teaching ideas.
Who will benefit from attending?
Teachers who are new to offering the AS pure element of the A level Mathematics course and those who are seeking to refresh their approach in this context.
- Coordinate Geometry
- Binomial expansion
- Logs & Exponentials
Materials and Equipment
You will need access to a good internet connection, using Chrome or Firefox as a browser. You will need a headset with a microphone to engage with the live sessions and most courses also require a means of sharing handwritten maths, such as a mini-whiteboard and webcam, a visualiser or a graphics tablet. Full details of how to set these up can be found on our online classroom support page.
The order of topics may be subject to change.
The course fee is £195.
Course participants who are currently working in a state-funded school or college in England will be eligible to apply for a full reimbursement of the course fee. This will be awarded subject to the following conditions being met:
- the full fee has been paid
- the participant has attended at least nine of the 12 live online sessions for this course
- the participant has completed the feedback form for this course within two weeks from the date of the last session
- relevant contact details for the employing school or college have been provided on application (normally a bursar or finance officer and the participant's line manager).
For more information, visit our subsidies page.
|23 September||Algebra 1|
|30 September||Algebra 2|
|07 October||Coordinate geometry|
|14 October||Differentiation 1|
|04 November||Differentiation 2|
|02 December||Trigonometry 1|
|09 December||Trigonometry 2, Vectors|
|16 December||Binomial expansion|
|13 January||Logs and exponentials 1|
|20 January||Logs and exponentials 2|
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard