Using Desmos for GCSE and A level Mathematics
This one-day course will explore practical approaches for embedding Desmos in the teaching of GCSE and A level Mathematics. Participants will explore where, when and how to use technology to enhance students’ understanding, learning and experience. We will also consider approaches for supporting the use of technology across a department.
- To demonstrate the effective use of technology in teaching GCSE and A level Mathematics.
- To improve your skills in using Desmos (including for statistics/the large data set).
- To consider strategies for integrating technology into your scheme of work.
Who will benefit from attending?
The course is suitable for all teachers of GCSE and or A level Mathematics who are wanting to make more effective use of technology in their teaching.
- Effective teacher use of technology.
- Student tasks for using technology.
- Technology for statistics (including Large Data Set activities).
- Integrating the use of technology and developing your own activities.
Materials and Equipment
Delegates will need to bring a laptop or Chromebook that is capable of connecting to WiFi. Delegates are also welcome to bring a tablet as well if they are using them in the classroom.
Course Leader: Tom Button
Tom Button is the Technology PD Lead for the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme and MEI's Mathematics Technology Specialist. In addition to his work for the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme Tom is an expert in the use of technology for the teaching and learning of mathematics and has presented a large number of professional development courses. Tom tweets about the use of technology in maths at @mathstechnology and blogs at digitalmathematics.blogspot.com.
A level Mathematics, 11-16 maths
Use of technology
Face-to-face Professional Development
Yorkshire and the Humber
Wed 16th Oct 2019
Free to state schools
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard