Technology for A level Mathematics
This one-day course will explore practical approaches for embedding technology in A level teaching. Participants will explore where, when and how to use technology to enhance students’ understanding, learning and experience. We will also consider approaches for supporting the use of technology across a department.
A range of technologies will be considered including GeoGebra, Desmos, Excel, Autograph and graphical/scientific calculators. There will be support in deciding which of these is most appropriate for your department.
- To demonstrate the effective use of technology in teaching A level Mathematics.
- To explore students activities for using technology.
- To develop your skills in using technology for statistics/the large data set (including calculators).
- To consider strategies for integrating technology into your scheme of work.
Who will benefit from attending?
The course is suitable for all teachers of A level Mathematics who are wanting to make more effective use of technology in their teaching.
- Student tasks for using technology
- Effective teacher use of technology
- Technology for statistics (including use of calculators and Large Data Set activities)
- Integrating the use of technology (including schemes of work and supporting your department)
Materials and Equipment
Delegates will need to bring a laptop that is capable of connecting to WiFi and the calculator that their students are using for A level.
Course Leader: Tom Button
Tom Button is the Technology PD Lead for the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme and MEI's Mathematics Technology Specialist. In addition to his work for the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme Tom is an expert in the use of technology for the teaching and learning of mathematics and has presented a large number of professional development courses. Tom tweets about the use of technology in maths at @mathstechnology and blogs at digitalmathematics.blogspot.com.
A level Mathematics
Statistics, Pure, Use of technology
Face-to-face Professional Development
London and South East
8 All Saints Street,
Fri 4th Oct 2019
10:00 - 16:15
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard