Teaching Further Mathematics 1
Online and London, Leeds, or Coventry
Teaching Further Mathematics 1 (TFM1) is a sustained professional development course for teachers wishing to develop their own subject knowledge and classroom practice in teaching A level Further Mathematics. It covers at least the pure material common to all AS level Further Mathematics specifications.
- 10 live online tutorials
- two study days
- textbooks to support your studies
- access to online teaching and learning resources
- email support from a tutor and access to an online group forum
Participants will have the option to certificate by submitting an assignment at the end of the course.
Following completion of this course, participants will be eligible to study TFM2, which includes the remaing pure content common to all A level Further Mathematics specifications.
- Gain a deep understanding of A level Further Mathematics.
- Develop confidence and skills to teach A level Further Mathematics, focusing on subject knowledge and effective pedagogy.
- Provide opportunities for mathematical thinking; exploring connections within maths.
Who will benefit from attending?
TFM1 is designed for A level Mathematics teachers who are currently teaching AS or A level Further Mathematics or who wish to teach it at some point in the near future. Suitable applicants would include:
- an experienced teacher of A level Mathematics who wishes to learn more about teaching A level Further Mathematics
- an individual, currently not teaching in a school, who wishes to undertake a sustained professional development course to prepare for future employment
- a teacher seeking to gain certification that may give them more options in the future
- a teacher wanting to develop their own subject knowledge to enable them to confidently and competently teach A level Further Mathematics
- a teacher who has completed the Teaching A level Mathematics (TAM) course, a Teaching Mechanics (TM1 & TM2) course, a Teaching Statistics (TS1 & TS2) course or a Teaching Discrete Mathematics (TD1 & TD2) course
TFM1 covers the pure material common to all AS level Further Mathematics specifications and more:
- Complex numbers
- Roots of polynomial equations
- Summations and series
- Proof by induction
- Vector geometry
- Maclaurin series
- Hyperbolic functions
Materials and Equipment
A computer with a reliable internet connection will be required to attend the online tutorials. In addition, a headset with a microphone is suggested to get the best experience of the online tutorials.
The course fee for TFM1 is £300.
If you are working in a state-funded school or college, participation in this course attracts a reimbursement of course fees, subject to engagement and completion of the course.
Schools and colleges located within Priority Areas are eligible to receive a further subsidy of £500 to support staff cover and travel costs.
|Week beginning||Study content||Evening online tutorials (19:30-20:30)|
|Course unit introduction||Monday 7 January 2019|
|7 January||Matrices 1|
|14 January||Matrices 1||Thursday 17 January 2019|
|21 January||Matrices 1|
|28 January||Complex numbers 1|
|4 February||Complex numbers 1||Thursday 7 February 2019|
|11 February||Complex numbers 1|
|18 February||Roots of polynomials||Thursday 21 February 2019|
|25 February||Roots of polynomials|
|4 March||Series of induction|
|11 March||Series of induction||Thursday 14 March 2019|
|18 March||Series of induction|
|15 April||Vectors||Thursday 18 April 2019|
|29 April||Matrices 2||Thursday 2 May 2019|
|6 May||Matrices 2|
|13 May||Maclaurin series||Thursday 16 May 2019|
|20 May||Maclaurin series|
|27 May||Complex numbers 2|
|3 June||Complex numbers 2||Thursday 6 June 2019|
|10 June||Complex numbers 2|
|17 June||Further calculus||Thursday 20 June 2019|
|24 June||Further calculus|
|1 July||Further calculus|
|8 July||Hyperbolic functions|
|15 July||Hyperbolic functions||Thursday 18 July 2019|
|22 July||Hyperbolic functions|
Study day 1:
Study day 2:
During July and August you will work toward completing an assignment. The deadline for this assignment is 31 August 2019.
Unit certification: 31 October 2019 (or before)
A level Further Mathematics
Pure, Problem solving, Use of technology
Sustained Professional Development
Online classroom and study days in Coventry, London or Leeds
Mon 7th Jan 2019
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
CPD Admin Team
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard