Teaching Statistics 2
Online and Coventry
Teaching Statistics 2 (TS2) is a sustained professional development course for teachers wishing to further build their confidence in teaching statistics. TS2 covers most of the statistics content from all major specifications for AS/A level Further Mathematics.
- 10-12 live online tutorials
- two study days
- a textbook to support your studies
- access to online teaching and learning resources
- email support from a tutor and access to an online group forum
Towards the end of the course a short assignment is issued, for which support and guidance are provided. Course certificates will be available for those participants completing the assignment.
In order to enrol on the TS2 course, participants should have a reasonable understanding of the statistics content of AS/A level Mathematics, ideally through having completed TS1 though this is not compulsory.
- Gain a deeper understanding of statistics.
- Continue to develop confidence and skills to teach statistics for AS/A level Further Mathematics, focusing on subject knowledge and effective pedagogy.
- Continue to develop confidence in working with technology to aid understanding of statistical concepts.
Who will benefit from attending?
TS2 is designed for teachers who are currently teaching A level Further Mathematics, or who wish to teach it at some point in the near future. Suitable applicants include:
- an experienced teacher who wishes to learn more about statistics
- an individual currently not teaching in a school who wishes to undertake an extensive professional development course to prepare for future employment
- a teacher seeking to gain certification that may give them more options in the future
- a teacher wanting to develop their own subject knowledge to enable them to confidently and competently teach statistics
- a teacher who has completed the Teaching A level Mathematics (TAM) course, a Teaching Further Mathematics (TFM1 & TFM2) course, a Teaching Mechanics (TM1 & TM2) course or a Teaching Discrete Mathematics (TD1 & TD2) course
TS2 covers most of the statistics content for AS/A level Further Mathematics. This includes the following topics:
- Properties of discrete and continuous probability distributions
- Further probability distributions
- Bivariate data and regression
- The normal and t distributions
- Confidence inferences and hypothesis tests
- Chi-squared tests and non-parametric tests
- Analysis of Variance
Materials and Equipment
A computer with a reliable internet connection will be required to attend the online tutorials. In addition, a headset with a microphone is suggested to get the best experience of the online tutorials.
Participants must have a reasonable understanding of the statistics content of AS/A level Mathematics, ideally through having completed TS1 though this is not compulsory.
The course fee for TS2 is £300.
If you are working in a state-funded school or college, participation in this course attracts a reimbursement of course fees, subject to engagement and completion of the course.
Schools and colleges located within Priority Areas are eligible to receive a further subsidy of £500 to support staff cover and travel costs.
Frequently Asked Questions
this is the answer
A level Further Mathematics
Sustained Professional Development
Online classroom and study days in Coventry
4th March 2019
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
CPD Admin Team
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard