AS Further Maths: Discrete common topics
Live Online Professional Development (LOPD) courses form a programme of innovative online courses, designed to enable teachers to develop their teaching with confidence in a convenient, stress-free way.
LOPD courses are delivered using a browser-based online classroom that allows participants to collaborate online in real time. The courses aim both to cover subject content common to all current specifications and to facilitate the exchange of teaching ideas. Rather than attending a one or two day course away from school or college, participants will use the internet to meet weekly online.
This course covers topics which are common to AQA and OCR Discrete Maths, Edexcel Decision Maths and MEI Modelling with Algorithms. Further topics to complete the content for each specification will be available soon via the On Demand Professional Development (ODPD) programme.
This course comprises seven online sessions with an experienced tutor, each between 60 and 90 minutes in length and delivered in a small group of teachers allowing opportunities for interaction and discussion.
- To provide teachers with an opportunity to improve or refresh their subject knowledge of the main topics which typically feature in Decision, Discrete or Modelling with Algorithms components of Further Mathematics.
- To provide opportunities to interact with the course tutors and other delegates in a small group to discuss subject content, resources and teaching ideas.
Who will benefit from attending?
Teachers who are new to offering Discrete, Decision or Modelling with Algorithms as part of A level Further Mathematics and those who are seeking to refresh their approach in this context.
- Algorithms – general algorithms, sorting, packing and complexity
- Graph Theory – definitions, problems and theorems
- Shortest routes 1 – Minimum spanning trees and Dijkstra’s algorithm
- Shortest routes 2 – Travelling salesperson problem and route inspection
- Critical Path Analysis
- Linear programming – graphical and simplex methods
- Game Theory
Materials and Equipment
You will need access to a good internet connection, using Chrome or Firefox as a browser. You will need a headset with a microphone to engage with the live sessions and most courses also require a means of handwriting on the shared whiteboard, such as a graphics tablet or interactive whiteboard.
The order of topics may be subject to change.
The course fee for LOPD is £195.
Shortly after applying for an LOPD course, applicants who are working in a state-funded school or college in England will receive a form to be used to apply for a full reimbursement of the course fee. This will be awarded subject to the following conditions being met:
- the full fee has been paid
- the applicant has completed at least 75% attendance
- the applicant has completed the evaluation form for the course
- the reimbursement application has been submitted
For more information, visit our subsidies page.
Find a course
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard