Teaching Further Mathematics 1
Teaching Further Mathematics 1 (TFM1) is a sustained professional development course for teachers wishing to develop their own subject knowledge and classroom practice in teaching A level Further Mathematics. It covers at least the pure material common to all AS level Further Mathematics specifications.
- 10 live online tutorials
- two study days
- textbooks to support your studies
- access to online teaching and learning resources
- email support from a tutor and access to an online group forum
Participants will have the option to certificate by submitting an assignment at the end of the course.
Following completion of this course, participants will be eligible to study TFM2, which includes the remaing pure content common to all A level Further Mathematics specifications.
- Gain a deep understanding of A level Further Mathematics.
- Develop confidence and skills to teach A level Further Mathematics, focusing on subject knowledge and effective pedagogy.
- Provide opportunities for mathematical thinking; exploring connections within maths.
Who will benefit from attending?
TFM1 is designed for A level Mathematics teachers who are currently teaching AS or A level Further Mathematics or who wish to teach it at some point in the near future. Suitable applicants would include:
- an experienced teacher of A level Mathematics who wishes to learn more about teaching A level Further Mathematics
- an individual, currently not teaching in a school, who wishes to undertake a sustained professional development course to prepare for future employment
- a teacher seeking to gain certification that may give them more options in the future
- a teacher wanting to develop their own subject knowledge to enable them to confidently and competently teach A level Further Mathematics
- a teacher who has completed the Teaching A level Mathematics (TAM) course, a Teaching Mechanics (TM1 & TM2) course, a Teaching Statistics (TS1 & TS2) course or a Teaching Discrete Mathematics (TD1 & TD2) course
TFM1 covers the pure material common to all AS level Further Mathematics specifications and more:
- Complex numbers
- Roots of polynomial equations
- Summations and series
- Proof by induction
- Vector geometry
- Maclaurin series
- Hyperbolic functions
Materials and Equipment
A computer with a reliable internet connection will be required to attend the online tutorials. In addition, a headset with a microphone is suggested to get the best experience of the online tutorials.
The course fee for TFM1 is £300.
If you are working in a state-funded school or college, participation in this course attracts a reimbursement of course fees, subject to engagement and completion of the course.
Schools and colleges located within Priority Areas are eligible to receive a further subsidy of £500 to support staff cover and travel costs.
Find a course
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
CPD Admin Team
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard