New to teaching Core Maths Programme
These sustained professional development programmes are run in partnership by Maths Hubs and the AMSP.
The purpose of this programme is to support teachers, who are new to teaching Core Maths, in developing specialist knowledge for teaching Core Maths and to increase their confidence in teaching the course.
The programme has a primary focus on Core Maths subject knowledge and pedagogy and will be based on these six key themes which are common to all the Core Maths specifications:
- Using contextualised problem-solving
- Applying Fermi estimation and modelling
- Developing critical analysis
- Making sense of finance
- Using the pre-release materials
- Exploring statistics.
Technology and online teaching will be underlying themes throughout the programme.
This programme is led by Jo Deko.
- Participants will apply related pedagogical approaches in their Core Maths teaching and plan sequences of lessons to promote student understanding, confidence and progression
- Understand the philosophy of Core Maths, with its approach to maths through contextualised problem-solving and the application of maths to authentic problems
- Develop their subject knowledge in these six areas: Contextualised problem solving; Fermi estimation and modelling; Critical analysis; Finance; Pre-release materials; Statistics
- Develop their understanding of how online learning and technology can be used to support Core Maths teaching
Who will benefit from attending?
This programme is for teachers who are in the first two years of teaching Core Maths and are teaching a Core Maths class during the academic year 2023/24.
Schools/colleges must be able to commit to the full programme of professional development which involves a total of three days (or equivalent) of themed sessions as well as classroom and practice-based activity which is an integral feature of these Programmes.
The New to teaching Core Maths Programme is run in partnership with Maths Hubs where it is also referenced as Specialist Knowledge for Teaching Mathematics - Core Maths Teachers.
State-funded schools, colleges and academies can participate in this Programme for free.
Otherwise costs are as follows:
Online Programme - £355 or Blended/face to face Programme - £525
|Session number||Date||Session times|
|1||11/12/2023||13:30 – 16:00|
|2||25/01/2024||13:30 – 16:00|
|3||27/02/2024||13:30 – 16:00|
|4||20/03/2024||13:30 – 16:00|
|5||16/04/2024||13:30 – 16:00|
|6||16/05/2024||13:30 – 16:00|
“It was a great programme that gave me confidence in what I am teaching as well as resources that I could use in my next lesson – the time invested in the programme replaced time planning.”
“The programme has been well structured and as a participant I felt well supported. As a new teacher of Core Maths, I felt more confident and ready to teach the course and try new approaches to engage my students. The resources and activities provided were really helpful, not only in the training sessions but also back at my school, enriching discussion with other colleagues and improving our offer of Core Maths to our students. I would recommend to all teachers of Core Maths.”
“Great discussions were held, good resources collated. Great working team with great ideas to share. The programme has really aided my pedagogical thinking for Core Maths, especially since being in my first year of ECT and never having taught anything like this before.”
- Curriculum focus:Core Maths
- Region:East of England
- Venue:on line
- Start date:11 Dec 2023
- Course times:13:30 - 16:00
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact: