Coming up soon: The suite of Raising Confidence courses can be booked at either The Hive in the centre of Worcester or at the University of Birmingham in Edgbaston.
These free courses provide resources and teaching strategies to improve access to two key strands of the National Curriculum and examination specifications (Reasoning and Problem Solving) as well as developing pedagogy for effective teaching of higher GCSE topics.
For example: On the Problem Solving day you will look at a variety of tasks, some of which can be classed as many ways problems. You will be given the opportunity to use problem solving frames to support accessing problems. You will also try out different approaches such as ‘noticing’ – what do I notice about the diagram? About the information? About the problem?
Here is an example of an extended Many Ways problem, and ideas about how it could be used.
Feedback from this year’s participants:
- “Fantastic ideas and new resources.”
- “Most useful – the chance to create and share effective resources that require little effort/time.”
- “Excellent presentation, very thought-provoking.”
- “Lots of strategies to use/try to allow the development of problem solving.”
- “Shown very useful problem-solving strategies which could be used instantly in the classroom.”
Interested in other Professional Development for Key Stages 3 and 4? Browse our events page and filter to see what is on offer in the region or contact your Area Coordinator to discuss the possibilities.