We were invited to take part in a student professional development day at USP Palmers College. The emphasis of the day was employability skills, which gave us the opportunity to emphasise how having an A level and/or degree in Mathematics is beneficial to many careers. AMSP Associate Chris Saker went on to demonstrate some of the topics that you might encounter when studying for a maths degree. The students gradually became more engaged as the session went on.
Comments from the session included:
- “Showcases interesting problems in higher level maths”
- “It taught me about a unique branch of maths”
- “It was engaging and I found it really interesting”
There are further Year 12 Problem Solving Conferences coming up in July in the East of England:
- Thursday 11th July in March, Cambridgeshire
- Friday 12th July in Southend-on-Sea
- Monday 1st July in Norwich – details to be confirmed soon
These problem-solving events are primarily for Year 12 students who are currently studying A level Mathematics. Problem-solving is a key component of the new AS and A level qualifications. These conferences give students a chance to develop their problem-solving skills through a variety of different activities, so that students are more confident in dealing with the problem-solving aspect within the A level syllabus.
Please check our events listing page to find out about more events and to book your place.