The AMSP and careers
Thursday 24th March 2022
Unless you're new to teaching, you'll have likely noticed the shift in focus from teaching the skills of maths, to using real-life context, to linking topics to careers. The Gatsy Benchmarks have provided schools with a framework to achieve career guidance for pupils, and the AMSP has been working hard to provide you with the tools to meet Gatsy Benchmark 4: linking curriculum learning to careers.
To begin with, you may find our self-audit a useful starting point. It's a checklist of strategies that you can implement to achieve this benchmark. Below are some more recommendations of the AMSP support (and more!) that's on offer, if you haven't had the chance to explore it yet!
- Where maths meets… the world of work! is an excellent collection of resources. You’ll find videos with accompanying activities that can be used with students from KS2 to KS5. Each one is designed to take an hour to complete.
- Dig deeper – Resources is a one-stop shop for short videos and images to inspire career conversations, and further embed the link between careers and curriculum.
- Our 11-16 maths resources webpage contains links to a variety of enrichment resources. If you're teaching averages, I'd specifically recommend the #EqualPayDay powerpoint.
- At various points throughout the academic year, the AMSP organise Which Career? online enrichment events, which provide pupils with an opportunity to hear guest speakers talk about their careers and have the opportunity to ask them questions.
- At the bottom of our Dig deeper – Resources webpage, you’ll find links to other organisations that are eager to assist you in achieving Gatsy Benchmark 4.
- STEM Learning have gathered over 37,000 individuals through their STEM Ambassador Programme, all hoping for the opportunity to inspire students with their knowledge. Whatever it is that you're looking for, you're likely to find someone who can assist you.
By Naz Abdullah