Applications for these courses are now open. Apply now.
Teaching Statistics (TS) is a professional development course for teachers wishing to develop their own subject knowledge and classroom practice. There are two units, TS1 and TS2. TS1 covers the statistics content in A level Mathematics. TS2 covers a selection of the statistics content in A level Further Mathematics.
The course aims to enable participants:
- to gain a deep understanding of statistics as a problem-solving discipline
- to develop statistical modelling skills
- to develop confidence in working with real data using technology
- to improve statistical subject knowledge
- to build on existing pedagogical skills
TS provides an opportunity for sustained professional development. TS is a blended course which compromises dedicated web-based teaching and learning resources, scheduled live online sessions and face-to-face study days in Leeds or London (TS1) and Coventry (TS2).
The course consists of two separate units:
Each unit is scheduled over a half-year period. The content of TS1 is a prerequisite for TS2. Typically participants study TS1 followed by TS2; however applicants with sufficient prior knowledge of the TS1 content may elect to study TS2 only.
Who should apply?
TS is designed for teachers who are currently teaching A level Mathematics or Further Mathematics, or who wish to teach it at some point in the near future. Suitable applicants include:
- an experienced teacher who wishes to learn more about statistics
- an individual currently not teaching in a school who wishes to undertake an extensive professional development course to prepare for future employment
- a teacher seeking to gain certification that may give them more options in the future
- a teacher wanting to develop their own subject knowledge to enable them to confidently and competently teach statistics
- a teacher who has completed the Teaching A level Mathematics (TAM) course or the Teaching Further Mathematics (TFM) course or the Teaching Mechanics (TM) course or the Teaching Discrete Mathematics (TD) course.
TS1 is next scheduled from March 2019 to July 2019.
TS2 is next scheduled from March 2019 to July 2019.
The fee for TS1 is £300.
The fee for TS2 is £300.
Teachers working in state-funded schools or colleges in England are eligible to have their course fees fully reimbursed on completion of the course. Teachers working in AMSP Priority Areas qualify for a subsidy in addition to their course fee reimbursement. Please visit the AMSP subsidies page for more information.
Please see the frequently asked questions for more details.
To apply for a place on the TS1 course, please submit an online application (TS1)
To apply for a place on the TS2 course, please submit an online application (TS2)
Use the button below to access sample CPD resources, including for the TS course.
If you would like more information about the course please contact Paul Chillingworth.