Applications for these courses are now open. Apply now.
Teaching Mechanics (TM) is a professional development course for teachers wishing to develop their own subject knowledge and classroom practice. There are two separate units, TM1 and TM2. TM1 covers the mechanics content in A level Mathematics. TM2 covers the mechanics content in A level Further Mathematics.
The course aims to enable participants to:
- gain a deep understanding of the principles of mechanics
- develop skills with mathematical modelling and problem solving
- develop confidence with incorporating practical work within mathematics teaching
- improve subject knowledge and build on pedagogical skills
- link topics in mechanics with other areas of mathematics
TM provides an opportunity for sustained professional development. TM is a blended course which comprises dedicated web-based learning resources, scheduled live online sessions and face-to-face study days in London, Leeds or Coventry.
The course consists of two separate units:
Each unit is scheduled over a half-year period. The content of TM1 is a prerequisite for TM2. Some participants study TM1 followed by TM2. Applicants with sufficient prior knowledge of the TM1 content may elect to study only TM2.
Who should apply?
TM is designed for teachers who are currently teaching A level Mathematics or Further Mathematics, or who wish to teach it at some point in the near future. Suitable applicants would include:
- an experienced A level teacher who wishes to learn more about teaching mechanics
- an individual, currently not teaching in a school, who wishes to undertake a sustained professional development course to prepare for future employment
- a teacher seeking to gain certification that may give them more options in the future
- a teacher wanting to develop their own subject knowledge to enable them to confidently and competently teach mechanics
- a teacher who has completed the Teaching A level Mathematics (TAM) course or the Teaching Further Mathematics (TFM) course or the Teaching Statistics (TS) course or the Teaching Discrete Mathematics (TD) course.
TM1 is next scheduled from January 2019 to July 2019.
TM2 is scheduled from March 2019 to July 2019.
The fee for TM1 is £300
The fee for TM2 is £300
Teachers working in state-funded schools or colleges in England are eligible to have their course fees fully reimbursed on completion of the course. Teachers working in AMSP Priority Areas qualify for a subsidy in addition to their course fee reimbursement. Please visit the AMSP subsidies page for more information.
To apply for a place on the TM1 course, please submit an online application (TM1)
To apply for a place on the TM2 course, please submit an online application (TM2)
Use the button below to access sample CPD resources, including for the TM course.
Please contact Avril Steele, TM Course Leader, if you have any queries about the TM course.