Teaching Further Mathematics
Applications for TFM1 are now open. Apply now.
Teaching Further Mathematics (TFM) is a professional development course for teachers wishing to develop their own subject knowledge and classroom practice in teaching A level Further Mathematics. The TFM course covers material from all Further Mathematics specifications
The course aims to enable participants to:
- gain a deep understanding of A level Further Mathematics
- develop confidence and skills to teach A level Further Mathematics, focusing on subject knowledge and effective pedagogy
- expand their mathematical horizons and explore links within maths
TFM provides the opportunity for sustained professional development. TFM is a blended course which comprises dedicated web-based learning resources, scheduled live online sessions and face-to-face study days in London, Leeds, or Coventry.
The course consists of two units:
Each unit is scheduled over half-year period. TFM1 is a prerequisite for TFM2. After completing TFM1, participants have the option to continue with TFM2 and complete the whole course. Alternatively, participants can just study TFM1 and gain certification for TFM1 only.
Who should apply?
TFM is designed for A level Mathematics teachers who are currently teaching Further Mathematics or who wish to teach it at some point in the near future. Suitable applicants would include:
- an experienced teacher of A level Mathematics who wishes to learn more about teaching A level Further Mathematics
- an individual, currently not teaching in a school, who wishes to undertake a sustained professional development course to prepare for future employment
- a teacher seeking to gain certification that may give them more options in the future
- a teacher wanting to develop their own subject knowledge to enable them to confidently and competently teach A level Further Mathematics
- a teacher who has completed the Teaching A level Mathematics (TAM) course or the Teaching Mechanics (TM) course or the Teaching Statistics (TS) course or the Teaching Discrete Mathematics (TD) course
TFM1 is next scheduled from January 2019 to July 2019.
TFM2 is scheduled from February 2019 to July 2019.
The fee for TFM1 is £300.
The fee for TFM2 is £300.
Teachers working in state-funded schools or colleges in England are eligible to have their course fees fully reimbursed on completion of the course. Teachers working in AMSP Priority Areas qualify for a subsidy in addition to their course fee reimbursement. Please visit the AMSP subsidies page for more information.
To apply for a place on the TFM1 course, please submit an online application (TFM1).
Enrolment for TFM2 will open in November 2018. This is only applicable for teachers who have previously completed TFM1.
Use the button below to access sample CPD resources, including for the TFM course.
Please contact Sharon Tripconey, TFM Course Leader, if you have any queries about the TFM course.
Quotes from TFM course participants
- "TFM is the single most inspiring thing that's having biggest impact upon my teaching this year."
- "I will be using my learning from this course next year when I am establishing a Further Maths course. TFM has been instrumental in me being able to do this."
- ".... made things clear and inspired further thought"
- "Actually made me think about how to deliver a subject rather than just teach from the book"
- ".. it was nice to spend a day on maths with like-minded people"
- "The course was fantastic and I have used so many of the resources"
- "This has been the best Maths experience in 20 years."
- "Genuinely been so impressed with TFM1&2 and have loved taking part. My teaching is heaps better for it"