Raising Confidence with GCSE Maths
Applications for these courses are now open. Apply now.
The changes to the GCSE have given greater prominence to Reasoning and Problem Solving over the last few years and there is a national drive to increase the number of students studying maths beyond GCSE. This suite of courses focuses on these areas, providing strategies and resources to use in the classroom with secondary students.
- Raising Confidence with Reasoning
- This day focuses on the development of Reasoning from KS2 focusing on GCSE. It will provide strategies and ideas for teachers to use in their classrooms to develop the skills of their students.
- Raising Confidence with Problem Solving
- This day focuses on the development of Problem Solving through secondary mathematics. We will consider different models for embedding a problem solving culture in the classroom and provide practical strategies that help students to become more resilient problem solvers. Through reference to recent GCSE exam questions we look at how problem solving can be introduced across the mathematics curriculum and provide ideas for teachers to embed these skills systematically throughout secondary mathematics.
- Raising Confidence with Higher Mathematics
- This day focuses on topics in the GCSE which are developed into AS/A level Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Core Maths. It will provide strategies and ideas for teachers to use in their classrooms to deepen their students' understanding, encourage them to study mathematics beyond GCSE and support them in this.
To get the most from the courses, it is suggested that schools attend all three, although it is not necessary for the same teacher to attend all three days and the course has been designed to support three different teachers attending across all three days. The courses include pre- and post- course tasks to support teachers in discussing the content of the days while sharing and developing best practice across entire departments.
These courses are funded by the DfE and are offered free of charge to teachers working in state-funded schools, colleges and academies. In addition, participants' schools will be eligible to claim £100 per teacher for each day to enable attendance. Schools in AMSP Priority Areas will be able to claim £250 for each day. Please visit the AMSP subsidies page for more information.
Applications for these courses are now open and early booking is advised. Venues and dates of the Raising Confidence courses can be found here.
Please submit an online application if you wish to apply for a place on this course.