Problem Solving and Next Steps: Conference for Teachers and Year 12 StudentsTaunton
A one day conference for year 12 maths students & their teachers to develop deeper mathematical problem-solving skills and to consider their next steps.
This event is ideal for students who are thinking of applying to study for degrees in mathematics or subjects which will use and apply mathematics, for example engineering, economics, computing and other maths related university courses.
This conference will provide motivation and information for students and teachers alike.
There will be:
- Problem solving activities
- An introduction for students to the problem solving admissions tests required by some universities (eg TMUA, MAT, STEP),
- An introduction for teachers in how they can use the university admissions test to promote problem solving, and in how to support students who might be sitting these tests
- A 'next steps" presentation exploring careers that use mathematics
- To motivate and support students in solving challenging maths problems
- To inform students about the mathematical admissions tests used by universities
- To inform teachers about how they can support and advise students who may be taking the mathematical admissions tests used by universities
- To inform students of possible career prospects that use mathematics
Who will benefit from attending?
This day is suitable for any Year 12 student who is interested in trying to use their mathematics to solve problems or in finding out more about the admissions tests used by universities.
It will also be suitable for teachers wishing to find out more about the admissions tests and how to support their students.
The conference will consist of several workshops, which will give students the opportunity to solve a variety of mathematical problems. There will be activities from the Liverpool Fun Maths roadshow and a series of workshops which will focus on a range of different aspects of mathematics. The day will end with a presentation focussing on some potential careers where problem solving and mathematics are used extensively.
This event is open to year 12 students and teachers from state funded institutions.
There is limited capacity for this event and places will be allocated on a first come first served basis.
Please note there is just one application per school to be filled in by the teacher accompanying the students to the event.
It is expected that the attending teacher will engage with the event as professional development.
A level Mathematics, A level Further Mathematics, University admissions tests
Mechanics, Statistics, Pure, Problem solving, Maths in other subjects
Richard Huish College,
Tue 5th Jul 2022
10:00 - 14:30
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard