SUMS (Steps to University for Mathematical Students) enrichment dayLondon
This event is for enthusiastic Year 12 female maths students who are considering studying maths or a closely-related subject at university. Non-binary and trans students are most welcome if they feel this is the right space for them. If you have any queries, please get in touch.
The day has been designed to develop students' problem-solving and teamwork skills and to encourage more female students to study maths. Students will work on an extended problem in small groups, quiz current students about university life, and hear from young women who use maths in their jobs. We're hosting this event at universities to enable students to experience a university environment.
- To develop students' problem solving skills
- To experience working as a group on an extended mathematical problem
- To provide information about the requirements of applicants for a maths or maths-rich undergraduate degree
- To experience a university environment and engage with current students
- To encourage more female students to study mathematics
Who will benefit from attending?
This event should be accessible to all Year 12 A level mathematics students who are curious about studying a maths-rich subject at university.
The Programme is likely to include the following sessions:
- Slow Maths: working in small groups on an extended problem
- Speed Networking: an opportunity to quiz current university students about aspects of university life
- Early Career Showcase: presentations from young women using mathematics in their jobs
- Applying to university: information about the additional requirements for studying mathematics at several universities
Materials and Equipment
Please bring a pen/pencil and paper.
This event will take place at five venues:
- University of Cambridge: Monday 21st March 2022
- Newcastle University: Tuesday 29th March 2022
- University of Sheffield: Thursday 21st April 2022
- University of Southampton: Tuesday 7th June 2022
- IOE, UCL's Faculty of Education and Society, London: Friday 24th June 2022
The events will be very similar at all venues and applicants are asked to select the most appropriate venue for them. Applicants may be offered a place at an alternative venue if their first choice of venue reaches capacity.
**Students will need to bring their own packed lunch. Other light refreshments will be provided for students during break times, these will be suitable for vegetarians and vegans. Unfortunately, we will be unable to cater for any other dietary requirements at this free of charge event, students with other dietary requirements will need to bring their own refreshments.**
Priority will be given to students from state-funded schools. The event is designed for students to attend independently, rather than for large school groups. Should the event be oversubscribed, individual and small group applications will be prioritised over large school trips.
Students should complete the application form, however we may be able to accommodate teachers at this event. If you are interested in attending, please contact [email protected] for further details.
University admissions tests, A level Mathematics
IOE, UCL's Faculty of Education and Society
Fri 24th Jun 2022
10:00 - 15:30
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
Student Engagement Admin Team
01225 716 492