Core Maths in PracticeEast Midlands (Online)
This session is designed for schools and college who are planning to offer Core Maths in the near future, and/or who have little experience of Core Maths.
We will be joined by Andy Bee, Head of KS5 at John Port Spencer Academy in Derby, who has been involved in the delivery of Core Maths for a number of years. He will talk about the setting up of the course, how it is run at John Port and the benefit to the students.
Emma Bell (@El_Timbre) from MEI will also be with us. Emma has written Core Maths materials for Pearson and has many years experience in Further Educational colleges. She will talk about overcoming problems when setting up and running Core Maths in FE.
Andy and Emma, and also Tom Rainbow (@coremathstom) from the AMSP, will be available for questions.
We hope that this session will act as an East Midlands Core Maths networking event - allowing teachers and lecturers to learn from AMSP expertise and also from each other.
- To provide an insight into setting up and running a Core Maths programme for students in your institution
- To look at the benefits of Core Maths for your students
- To consider ways to promote Core Maths to students and colleagues
- To provide contact between teachers and lecturers new to Core Maths
Who will benefit from attending?
Managers of Maths Departments and teachers in schools and colleges across the East Midlands.
- Introduction of presenters and attendees.
- Presentation by Andy Bee, Head of Maths at John Port Spencer Academy in Derby, who has been involved in the teaching of Core Maths for a number of years.
- Presentation by Emma Bell, an MEI colleague, who developed Core Maths material for Pearson and who has many years experience of working in a Further Education environment.
- Q and A session with Andy, Emma, and Tom Rainbow, Core Maths specialist with the AMSP.
- Planning next steps and further support.
This event will be hosted online using Zoom. People registering for the event will be sent a link to join the meeting one week beforehand.
All managers and teachers of mathematics who are interested in the delivery of Core Maths
Problem solving, Curriculum planning, Maths in other subjects
Live Online Professional Development
Mon 28th Feb 2022
16:30 - 18:00
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard