Year 12 Problem Solving ConferenceLoughborough
This one day problem solving conference is designed to support enthusiastic year 12 mathematicians to improve their problem solving skills.
The day will feature a number of sessions:
- Writing Mathematically – How do we best communicate our thoughts, process and methods to ensure that others fully understand our written methods? This session will aim to improve the quality of your written mathematics so that your meaning is never misunderstood.
- Problem Solving Techniques – problem solving is tough; it wouldn’t be challenging otherwise! By considering a mathematical problem, this session will focus on what can be done to reduce the level of challenge and help you find ways into problems.
- Asking the Right Questions – We know that asking questions can make situations easier, however it can be tough to know which questions. In this session we’ll consider all the many bits of knowledge that we do have, and how this can help in a variety of different situations.
- Applying for University – In this session we’ll explore the variety of different maths courses available at university, some of the different entry requirements (and how these could be reduced). This session will focus on maths courses, but would be useful to anyone planning to apply for university who is studying A Level Maths. We’ll also introduce university admissions tests, how to identify if these will be required and the assistance available to support students to prepare for these.
- Help Year 12 students develop and enhance their problem-solving skills.
- To increase students' awareness of university admissions tests, and the universities that require them
- Introduce students to some of the problems used in university entrance tests
Who will benefit from attending?
This day would suit any year 12 student studying AS or A Level Maths who wish to develop their problem solving skills. It would be especially useful to students planning to study a STEM based degree at university. We’ll also consider how university admissions test questions may support problem solving skills.
Students - in parties of up to 4 [or by negotiation] are welcome to attend without a teacher if over 16
A packed lunch will be provided for all attendees
University admissions tests, A level Mathematics, A level Further Mathematics
Tue 21st Jun 2022
10:00 - 14:00
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact: