Year 12 Team Problem Solving Contest (... with workshop on Why Problem Solving Really Counts)London
This session will provide motivation and information for students and teachers alike: a problem solving contest with rounds like the Senior Team Maths Challenge; an introduction for students to the problem solving tests used by Universities to assess students problem solving (eg TMUA, MAT, STEP); an introduction for teachers in how they can use the University Admissions test to promote problem solving, and in how to support students who might be sitting these tests.
Schools are invited to bring a Maths teacher and a team of four Year 12s to take part in the problem-solving contest. Any schools participating must avoid use of the 2021/22 Senior Team Maths Challenge materials, since these will constitute part of the contest materials.
Participating schools are encouraged to maximise the impact of the contest by running informal Senior Team Maths Challenge 'heats' in school, involving as many of their Yr 12 mathematicians as possible, in order to select the 'team' who come to the event. If you would like advice on how to do this, please contact [email protected]
- To motivate students to solve challenging maths problems
- To inform students about the mathematical Admissions tests used by universities
- To inform teachers about the mathematical Admissions tests used by universities
- To inform teacher about how they can support students who may be taking the mathematical Admissions tests used by universities
Who will benefit from attending?
The event is aimed at:
- teachers who wish to know about the different mathematical Admissions tests used by universities, in order to advise students on their choices.
- teachers who wish to support students who are taking mathematical Admissions tests
- students who enjoy problem solving and wish to find out how to use their talents
Frequently Asked Questions
In order to be fair amongst teams, and to accomodate the relatively late scheduling of this event in the academic year, Yr 13s are not invited. Sorry!
YES! There will be a session for teachers aimed at how we can best support problem-solving at A-level, and prepare students for University Admissions tests. This will be stimulating and engaging, and is NOT optional!
University admissions tests
Problem solving, Reasoning
London and South East
London Academy of Excellence Tottenham,
780 High Road,
Wed 9th Mar 2022
12:00 - 16:00
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact: