An Introduction to Teaching Statistics in A-level MathsOnline
This course aims to provide teaching ideas to help promote the study of statistics in a practical and meaningful way. The activities undertaken will promote discussion and assist in developing students’ problem-solving and modelling skills and their understanding of basic statistical techniques. We will use the Desmos classroom and the awarding body large datasets as resources in the teaching of statistical concepts.
- Increase teachers' awareness of interesting and engaging methods for deepening students' conceptual understanding of statistics.
- Explore how technology can be used to enhance students' understanding of concepts
- Appreciate how the large datasets can be used as a resource for learning.
- Explore activities that develop the idea of statistical modelling.
Who will benefit from attending?
Any current or prospective teacher of A (or AS)-Level mathematics who would like to improve their knowledge and confidence to teach the statistics content.
The course will consist of three twilight events on Tuesdays from 3.45 - 5.15pm.
- 1 February 2022 - The use of Technology with a particular focus on Desmos.
- 15 February 2022 - Large Datasets
- 1 March 2022 - Statistical Modelling
This course will be held online, using Zoom.
These will be interactive sessions so we recommend that to get the most from discussions you will need a microphone available and a webcam would enable even better communication.
Whilst we hope teachers will benefit from attending all three sessions, if you are only able to commit to one or two of the sessions, you are still welcome to book. Please use the booking form to indicate which sessions you wish to attend.
A level Mathematics
Statistics, Use of technology
Live Online Professional Development
Tue 1st Feb 2022
15:45 - 17:15
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard