STEP Preparation Course - Regular Problem Solving ClassesOnline
A series of 10 Saturday morning maths problem-solving sessions designed to give students the confidence to apply for university courses that require or take into consideration achievement in the STEP admissions test.
These regular classes offer students the opportunity to develop mathematical problem-solving skills through discussion and collaboration. They are designed to help students to develop strategies and confidence when tackling unfamiliar problems in maths and will help with preparations for taking the STEP examination in Summer 2022.
At the same time, the problems used in the course are fun and rewarding. Attending the sessions will greatly enrich students’ mathematical experiences and help them to develop a better understanding of A level Mathematics.
- To develop confidence when dealing with maths problems
- To develop resilience when dealing with maths problems
- To provide some initial information about the problem solving involved in university admissions tests
Who will benefit from attending?
The course is designed for any A level Mathematics and Further Mathematics student who has an enquiring mind and wishes to develop their problem solving ability for their A level studies and beyond.
It will be particularly useful for those students who are preparing for the STEP university admissions test.
The course covers a wide range of mathematical disciplines with problems. These may include:
- Algebra: the difference between two squares and other identities
- Geometry: angles, triangle and circles
- Number: digits and divisibility
- Algebra: forming and solving equations
- Combinatorics: systematic counting
- Number: prime factorisation, fractions and irrationals
- Algebra: sequences and series
- Number: indices and logarithms
- Algebra: quadratics, cubics and other polynomials
- Geometry: trigonometry
- Combinatorics: further systematic counting and placement
- Geometry: coordinates and vectors
- Calculus: curve sketching and differentiation
- Calculus: integration
- Combinatorics: the binomial expansion
Materials and Equipment
This course will be running online, so students will need access to a device with internet connectivity.
This series of workshops is open to students from Kent and Medway schools only. Students from state-funded schools will be given priority.
These workshops are free to all students. Please note that students from state-funded schools will be given priority in the event that the workshops are over-subscribed.
13/11/2021 Integers and Numbers
27/11/2021 Graph Sketching
19/03/2022 Geometry and Vectors
02/04/2022 Past STEP papers
University admissions tests, A level Mathematics, A level Further Mathematics
London and South East
Sat 13th Nov 2021
09:30 - 11:30
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact: