Paper Folding, Proof and Problem Solving Pt2Online
The session is part 2 of 3 but attendees do not need to have attended the 1st session. During the afternoon we will look at extending problem solving into 3 dimensions and see how readily available hands on activities can be set up with little to no effort what-so-ever. The session will attempt to cover 3 main activities with extensions, covering geometrical reasoning, proof, trigonometry, use of volume formulae, mathematical modelling and optimisation. The session will be fully resourced for attendees so that they can use the activities immediately in the classroom should they so wish.
- To familiarise oneself with a selection of hands on tasks and activities so as to be able to run them in one's own classroom with confidence.
- To develop an awareness of the geometry present within A-series paper.
Who will benefit from attending?
Teachers looking for interesting problem solving activities that they can run with higher level students to promote and consolidate geometrical thinking, algebraic manipulation and number work.
3 Problem Solving Activities based on 3D objects constructed via simple paper folding.
- Cuboid (Geometric Reasoning 2D, Algebraic Manipulation and Surds)
- Triangles & Tetrahedra (Geometric Reasoning 3D, proof, volume formulae, trig formulae)
- Volume, Modelling & Optimisation. (Geometric reasoning, algebraic modelling, graphing, trial and improvement, optimisation)
Teachers will be sent resources prior to the session to use in the session.
Problem solving, Reasoning
Live Online Professional Development
Wed 20th Oct 2021
15:00 - 17:30
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard