The 6 concepts - Supporting Transition to Level 3 Maths
Do you find that students struggle with the transition from GCSE to year 12 maths? This could be your students leaving to take maths at another institution or starting maths with you in year 12 (Core Maths or AS Maths).
Do you or your department:
- Expect your Y12 students to work in a large mixed ability set
- Expect that all students who take A level Maths/Core Maths, want to do A level Maths
- Expect the students to be independent but that parents will still support and guide them
- Expect more homework from them
- Expect sound and consistent understanding of topics which previously required repeated revision
- Expect students to know which topics from GCSE will be assumed knowledge for AS Maths
- Expect that students are able to identify their areas of misunderstanding so that they can be tackled
- Expect students to realise that there is not enough time in Year 12 to keep reviewing topics over and over as they have in the past.
If you identified with any of these, this part of the network will explore the rational for a whole department approach that you may want to consider to support all students to transition to post 16 maths. This is a thought provoking session, to help you reflect on your own practice, and to take back to your departments
Who will benefit from attending?
Any teacher who teachers KS4 or KS5 Maths.
Materials and Equipment
The session will be remote and will take place on Zoom. You will need a laptop/desktop computer or other internet enabled device - if possible please use a machine with a microphone enabled to allow for chat with te presenter and other delegates.
You will be sent a link to access the workshop in good time to access the event.
All teachers are welcone to attend, however priority will be given to teachers in state funded schools and colleges in Yorkshire and the Humber.
A level Mathematics, 11-16 maths
Live Online Professional Development
Yorkshire and the Humber
Wed 6th Oct 2021
16:30 - 18:00
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard