Advanced GCSE Teacher Network (North East)Network Launch Meeting
The uptake and transition to A-Level Mathematics and Further Mathematics is one of the biggest on-going issues facing post-16 students and teachers alike. Many very capable GCSE students fear the challenge of these subjects and decide not to take them for this reason. Others do chose to take them and then find the step-up in mathematical demand and workload to be too much for them.
One way in which many shcools have been able to overcome some of these challenges is by offering GCSE students the opportunity to study additional maths qualifications such as the AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Mathematics.
This will be a launch meeting for what we hope will be a regular series of network meetings for teachers working with GCSE students with the clear potential to study Maths and/or Further Maths at A-Level. The main focus will be around supporting each other and sharing ideas around the promotion of advanced mathematical thinking and delivery additional content to lay stronger foundations for A-Level than is often provided by typical GCSE courses.
The hope is to bring together teachers with a range of different levels of experience to discuss current provision in their school, share teaching and learning resources as well as ideas in terms of student selection, timetabling, staffing and other practical issues.
- Develop a shared sense of the current regional "landscape" in terms of what is currently offered to the most able GCSE students, and how it works in different schools.
- Experienced teachers share the benefit of this experience with each other and with those who are newer to courses such as AQA L2FM or who are considering offering it to students in the future.
- Agree an outline plan of how we would like an ongoing "Advanced GCSE" teacher network to operate over the course of the coming academic year.
Who will benefit from attending?
- Teachers from schools who currently offer additional qualifications to GCSE students such as AQA L2 FM who would like to share their experiences and/or learn from others about ways in which they could develop things further.
- Teachers from schools who do not currently offer such qualifications but are interested in the possibility of doing so in the future.
- Teachers from schools who are unable to offer such qualifications but nevertheless wish to develop their general provision for GCSE students who are targeting the highest grades and could potentially study A-Level Maths/FMaths at A-Level.
- Welcome and Introduction
- Discussion - what do we currently do, how do we do it, and why?
- A chance to get to know each other and find out what the current situation is at our respective schools. In particular we will discuss various models in terms of how additional courses can be offered to students.
- Fiona Swift: AQA Level 2 Futher Maths provision at Westfield School
- Fiona Swift is an experienced teacher of AQA L2FM. She will decribe how the course is delivered at Westfield School.
- Michael Gibson: Advanced GCSE Masterclasses for students and other support available from the AMSP
- Michael will be offering a series of "Masterclasses" throughout the year for students who are either studying AQA L2FM or are working at a level where they could access the course if it were availble to them. He will say more about how these classes will work and to go about sending students to them.
- He will also briefly outline the range of other support that can be offered both locally and nationally by the AMSP.
- Further Dicussion and Planning - how do we want this network to work?
- This meeting is intended as a "launch event" for an ongoing network where we can continue to collaborate on provision for our most able GCSE students. We will discuss in more detail the practicalities of how this could work in the best way for everyone who wishes to be involved.
This event is open to all North East teachers who are interested in maths provision for the most able GCSE students in order to encourage uptake of A-Level Maths/Further Maths and lay the strongest possible foundations for taking these subjects.
11-16 maths, A level Mathematics, A level Further Mathematics
Pure, Problem solving, Use of technology, Reasoning
Mon 27th Sep 2021
16:00 - 17:30
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard