Year 13 Advanced Problems CourseLeicester
A series of maths problem-solving sessions designed to give students the confidence to apply for university courses that require or take into consideration achievement in an admissions test.
These regular classes offer students the opportunity to develop mathematical problem-solving skills through discussion and collaboration. They are designed to help students to develop strategies and confidence when tackling unfamiliar problems in maths and will help with preparations for taking advanced papers such as the MAT, TMUA and STEP examinations.
At the same time, the problems used in the course are fun and rewarding. Attending the sessions will greatly enrich students’ mathematical experience and help them to develop a better understanding of A level Mathematics.
- To develop initial strategies when dealing with maths problems
- To develop confidence when dealing with maths problems
- To provide some initial information about the problem solving involved in university admissions tests
- To provide a platform on which to build secure problem solving techniques
- To develop tenacity when dealing with maths problems
Who will benefit from attending?
The course is suitable for students who intend at the present time to either pursue an undergraduate degree in a mathematical subject, sit one
of the STEP examinations in summer 2022 or who just have a passion for mathematical problem solving.
If, in January 2022, students on the course have a university offer requiring STEP grades, then STEP support can be offered in a distance format.
The course covers a wide range of mathematical disciplines with problems. These can include
- Algebra: the difference between two squares and other identities
- Geometry: angles, triangle and circles
- Number: digits and divisibility
- Algebra: forming and solving equations
- Combinatorics: systematic counting
- Number: prime factorisation, fractions and irrationals
- Algebra: sequences and series
- Number: indices and logarithms
- Algebra: quadratics, cubics and other polynomials
- Geometry: trigonometry
- Combinatorics: further systematic counting and placement
- Geometry: coordinates and vectors
- Calculus: curve sketching and differentiation
- Calculus: integration
- Combinatorics: the binomial expansion
The course is free for all Year 13 students. Students should email [email protected] to apply for a place on the course.
Due to current circumstances relating to the pandemic it is not yet certain that the classes will be face-to-face in university venues. It is possible that classes will be online. Students on the course will be emailed the class venues (virtual or real) in good time.
Sessions will be:
- 21 Sep: Algebra 1
- 28 Sep: Trigonometry
- 12 Oct: Differentiation
- 9 Nov: Coordinate Geometry
- 16 Nov: Algebra 2
- 30 Nov: Inequalities
- 11 Jan: Sequences and Series
- 18 Jan: Exponentials and Logarithms
- 1 Feb: Curve Sketching
- 1 Mar: Proof
- 15 Mar: Vectors
- 29 Mar: Integration
University admissions tests
University of Leicester
Tue 21st Sep 2021
16:30 - 18:00
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact: