Maths for teachers of A Level Psychology
Maths for A level Psychology is a course for teachers wishing to build their confidence in teaching the mathematical requirements (see page 38) of A level Psychology. This course is being run in partnership with the Association for the Teaching of Psychology.
- Eight interactive live online sessions, approximately fortnightly, each up to 90 minutes long
- Access to our online Integral platform
- Email support from a tutor and access to an online group forum
- Improve mathematical subject knowledge
- Develop confidence in teaching the mathematical elements of Psychology
- Develop confidence in working with technology
- To provide opportunities to interact with course tutors and other delegates in a small group to discuss subject knowledge, resources and teaching ideas
Who will benefit from attending?
These sessions are aimed at teachers of Psychology who would like to increase their confidence in teaching the mathematical content of Psychology.
If you are unable to attend live sessions then you may like to consider our On Demand Core Maths Foundations course. This will enable you to study a range of mathematical topics at a time that suits you.
- Arithmetic and numerical computation
- Measures of central tendency and spread
- Normal and skewed distributions
- Probability and significance
- Statistical testing
Materials and Equipment
During online sessions, we give delegates opportunities to discuss ideas with each other in breakout rooms. Participants should expect to be proactive in communicating during sessions, so we strongly encourage the use of microphones and webcams.
All teachers are eligible for this course, however free places are available only to teachers in state-funded schools, colleges and academies in England. Applications for free places will be checked to verify eligibility.
Teachers must ensure that they are able to attend the live sessions before applying for a place as our courses are subject to very high demand: please do not apply for a place if you will not be able to attend at least 75% of sessions.
This course is free of charge to teachers working in state-funded schools, colleges and academies in England, otherwise the fee is £195.
|Wed 6th October||Core Mathematical skills - percentages, significant figures and standard form|
|Wed 20th October||Descriptive statistics – measures of central tendency and spread|
|Wed 10th November||Probability, significance and hypothesis testing introduction|
|Wed 24th November||Correlation|
|Wed 8th December||Statistical testing with a focus on chi-squared|
|Tues 11th Jan||Using Desmos in Psychology, Geography and Biology|
Statistics, Use of technology, Curriculum planning, Maths in other subjects
Live Online Professional Development
Tue 11th Jan 2022
16:00 - 17:30
Free for state-funded schools, £195 otherwise
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
Teacher Support Team
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard