Maths Hub Work Group: Developing A level Pedagogy
These programmes are no longer recruiting for 2021/2022. To register your interest for 2022/2023 please contact your local Maths Hub.
Level 3 Maths Work Groups are extended professional development programmes, run in partnership by Maths Hubs and the AMSP. Each Work Group is an ongoing collaboration between teachers from local schools and colleges led by an expert in maths professional development.
Developing A level Pedagogy Work Groups provide national support for the effective development of pedagogy in the teaching of A level Mathematics to support Covid recovery, to enhance the quality of teaching and the conceptual understanding of students, and the development of participants as leaders of A level teaching professional development in their own school or college.
Primary focus for 21/22: A level pedagogy to support Covid recovery
- understand the purpose of the over-arching themes and their impact on teaching and learning in A Level Mathematics, including use of technology
- be confident to teach aspects of the content (particularly mechanics and statistics)
- apply related pedagogical approaches in their A level teaching to support Covid recovery
- support colleagues in their own school/college in embedding themes from the Work Group in their delivery of A level teaching to support Covid recovery
- become a part of a developing community of practice
Who will benefit from attending?
It is suitable for existing leaders of A level teaching or experienced teachers of A level Mathematics who wish to lead the development of pedagogy in A level teaching with other colleagues in their own or other schools.
Teachers will find this Work Group particularly useful if they have previously completed AS/A level Mathematics professional development, and want to influence their department's approach to teaching A level in the future.
Schools/colleges must be able to commit to the full academic year’s programme. This involves a total of three days of face-to-face (or equivalent) support across the academic year, as well as classroom and school-based activity. Participants must also be supported by their school/college leadership to explore outcomes from the project with other colleagues in their department.
State-funded schools, colleges and academies can participate in Work Groups for free.
Work Groups are hosted by
Find a course
A level Mathematics
Mechanics, Statistics, Pure
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard