Year 12 & 13 Regular Problem Solving ClassesKent and Medway
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED ONLY FOR THE STEP EXAM PREPARATION GROUP (YEAR 13 ONLY)
A series of 10 Saturday morning maths problem-solving sessions designed to give students the confidence to apply for university courses that require or take into consideration achievement in an admissions test.
These regular classes offer students the opportunity to develop mathematical problem-solving skills through discussion and collaboration. They are designed to help students to develop strategies and confidence when tackling unfamiliar problems in maths and will help with preparations for taking advanced papers such as the MAT, TMUA and STEP examinations.
At the same time, the problems used in the course are fun and rewarding. Attending the sessions will greatly enrich students’ mathematical experience and help them to develop a better understanding of A level Mathematics.
Two distinct groups will be running simultaneously each Saturday with students required to select the group that is most appropriate to their academic needs:
- Introduction to problem Solving group - suitable for both year 12 and year 13 students
- STEP Exam Preparation group - suitable for year 13 students who are preparing for STEP examination in 2021
- To develop initial strategies when dealing with maths problems
- To develop confidence when dealing with maths problems
- To develop resilience when dealing with maths problems
- To provide some initial information about the problem solving involved in university admissions tests
- To provide a platform on which to build secure problem solving techniques
Who will benefit from attending?
The course is designed for any A level Mathematics student who has an enquiring mind and wishes to develop their problem solving ability for their A level studies and beyond.
It is particularly useful for those students who wish to make the first steps in preparing for university admissions tests such as the MAT, TMUA and STEP examinations.
The course covers a wide range of mathematical disciplines with problems. These can include
- Algebra: the difference between two squares and other identities
- Geometry: angles, triangle and circles
- Number: digits and divisibility
- Algebra: forming and solving equations
- Combinatorics: systematic counting
- Number: prime factorisation, fractions and irrationals
- Algebra: sequences and series
- Number: indices and logarithms
- Algebra: quadratics, cubics and other polynomials
- Geometry: trigonometry
- Combinatorics: further systematic counting and placement
- Geometry: coordinates and vectors
- Calculus: curve sketching and differentiation
- Calculus: integration
- Combinatorics: the binomial expansion
Materials and Equipment
Students do not need any special equpiment for the course although a smartphone with the GeoGebra or the Desmos apps installed may be useful.
Please note that the use of calculators is not permitted in STEP examinations.
All sessions will run from 10.00 to 12.00 on the following Saturdays:
- 14 November 2020
- 28 November 2020
- 12 December 2020
- 16 January 2021
- 30 January 2021
- 6 March 2021
- 20 March 2021
- 24 April 2021
- 8 May 2021
- 22 May 2021
This series of workshops is open to students from Kent and Medway schools only. Students from state-funded schools will be given priority.
These workshops are free to all students. Please note that students from state-funded schools will be given priority in the event that the workshops are over-subscribed.
Year 12 & 13
University admissions tests, A level Mathematics, A level Further Mathematics
London and South East
Sat 14th Nov 2020
09:30 - 11:00
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact: