Rebuilding Resilience (Prologue)Online
How can you help build resilience in your maths students? And, in particular, how can you do this post-lockdown?
This short online meeting is a prologue to the main session, which takes place in the Autumn Term (choice of 4 dates) - in this first session we will consider how you approach Year 10 students when you see them before the Summer.
In the main session in September/October (also online) we will look at which pedagogical approaches help build resilience in your (physical) maths classrooms, and also what language and behaviours improve pupils' independence and resilience when tackling mathematical problems.
Ideally, you would attend both this prologue and one of the main sessions in the Autumn Term:
- September 16th 15:00 - 17:00 https://amsp.org.uk/events/details/7604
- September 22nd 09:00 - 11:00 https://amsp.org.uk/events/details/7617
- October 7th 16:00 - 18:00 https://amsp.org.uk/events/details/7646
- October 15th 14:00 - 16:00 https://amsp.org.uk/events/details/7618
- Consider how lockdown has affected the motivation and resilience of GCSE students in Y10
- Understand how specific use of language can help build resilience in young learners
Who will benefit from attending?
This session would benefit any teachers of Key Stage 3 or 4 mathematics, whether they are NQTs or experienced teachers or Heads of Department. Teaching Assistants working within maths departments will also find this session useful.
Materials and Equipment
It would be useful for you to have access to some old GCSE past papers (printed out, ideally) to look at (and scribble on) in the session.
We will meet online via the "Big Blue Button" conferencing software.
You will receive a link half an hour before the meeting and this will take you to the meeting browser (please do not pass this link on to anyone else).
There is no need to download any software beforehand: BBB is designed to be used on a variety of platforms (including most smartphones) but you will get the best experience via a desktop or laptop computer, running either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox as the browser.
You will need a webcam, microphone and headphones/speakers to take engage fully.
Any teacher or Teaching Assistant (of any subject) wishing to attend may do so, although this is aimed primarily at teachers of mathematics.
This is a preliminary session, with a longer follow-up session in the Autumn Term. Ideally, you would attend both this prologue and one of the main sessions:
- September 16th - https://amsp.org.uk/events/details/7604
- September 22nd - https://amsp.org.uk/events/details/7617
- October 7th - https://amsp.org.uk/events/details/7646
- October 15th - https://amsp.org.uk/events/details/7618
Live Online Professional Development
Tue 30th Jun 2020
15:30 - 16:30
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard