Core Maths Teaching WorkshopBrighouse
- Support your students with the challenging topics in Core Maths
- Discover rich resources to stimulate mathematical thinking and share activities that worked well for you with other teachers
- Examine past pre-release materials and create rich questions to generate students' dialogue
Who will benefit from attending?
This course is suitable for anyone who is already teaching Core Maths this academic year or for teachers who are interested in finding out more prior to teaching Core Maths.
12:00 - 12:30pm Registration and sandwich lunch
12.30-1.50pm Challenging Topics in Core Maths
A chance to explore the questions that students have found particularly challenging in the four exam sittings so far. Reflect on ways to support them and resources that will develop these skills.
Discover which resources we think are particularly engaging and useful for generating mathematical thinking. Suggest topics you have found particularly hard to resource and we will point you in the right direction. This is also a great opportunity to share activities that have worked well for you.
2.30-4.15pm Getting the most out of the pre-release and Preparing for Assessments
During this session we will examine what has been examined based on the pre-release in previous years. How can you help your students to really understand the contexts provided? We will also get a chance to create questions from the pre-release material for 2020 (please note that only AQA and NCFE material will have been released by this date).
4.15-4.30pm Reflection, Next Steps and Evaluation
Materials and Equipment
If you would like to share your favourite resource/resources please bring some copies to the event or email them to [email protected] by Monday 2nd March.
Presenter Catherine Van Saarloos, is a Core Maths Support and Development Coordinator. She joined MEI in 2018 and tweets at @CoreMathsCat
Catherine's specialisms are:
- Supporting teachers and schools new to teaching Core Maths
- Developing teaching and learning in Core Maths
- Supporting teachers, schools and colleges with the delivery of GCSE Maths Resit
- Implementing strategies to improve the engagement of students who find Mathematics challenging
To book onto the course, please email [email protected]
Also, please state which exam board for Core Maths do you use and what are your desired outcomes for the event.
Statistics, Problem solving, Reasoning
Face-to-face Professional Development
Yorkshire and the Humber
Junction 25 Conference Venue,
Thu 12th Mar 2020
12:00 - 16:30
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
07508 956 426
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard