Enrichment Day for Year 10 GirlsMayfield
08:45 Registration and warm-up activity
09:15 Workshop A
10:25 Workshop B
11:20 Workshop C
12:55 Workshop D
13:55 Maths - The Key to the World and the Universe – Keynote talk by Nicole Cozens
15:00 Feedback and end
- To promote the further study of mathematics beyond GCSE
- To engage in a variety of workshops giving an insight into the different aspects of A level Maths
Who will benefit from attending?
Suitable for higher set Year 10 girls who have the potential to study Maths or Further Maths at A level.
During the day girls will engage in a carousel of Workshops
- Bridge Design – lead by Alison Terry, Chartered Engineer and AMSP Associate
- STEM in Style: The Maths of Fashion – lead by Takita Bartlett, Mathematician and Fashion Designer
- Do you agree? - A statistics workshop looking at Spearmans Rank Correlation Coefficient – lead by Sally Howie from Mayfield School
- Dragon Quiz – lead by Hazel Santineer, AMSP Area Coordinator for East & West Sussex
Nicole Cozens will conclude the day with her interactive presentation on Maths - the Key to the world and the universe. Nicole is a National Coordinator with the Advanced Maths Support Programme, and loves enthusing students about the wonder of maths both in classrooms and out. She loves solving maths problems, and enjoys playing with maths that is outside the curriculum. A teacher for over 15 years, she also works for the National Space Academy exploring how maths helps us study the Universe.
Materials and Equipment
Students should bring a pen/pencil and water bottle.
Light snacks will be available to purchase at breaktime, or students can bring their own.
A hot lunch will be provided by Mayfield school.
Mechanics, Statistics, Pure, Problem solving, Reasoning
The Old Palace,
Mon 16th Mar 2020
08:45 - 15:15
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact: