The Large Data Set: Making Lessons MeaningfulGreenwich
AS and A level mathematics specifications require students to:
- become familiar with a specific large data set
- use technology to explore the data set
- interpret real data
- use data to investigate questions arising in real contexts
The large data set is an excellent tool to address these requirements. We will consider strategies to access the large data set throughout the statistics component of the course and how it can be used to infuse our teaching and add richness and context to our lessons.
- Develop strategies for working with large data sets
- Consider how technology can best be used to explore large data sets
- Investigate strategies to ensure students become familiar with both the content and the context of large data sets
- Consider the implications of an increased focus on interpretation over calculation in A level maths
Who will benefit from attending?
Teachers currently teaching, or planning to teach, the applied content of A level maths.
Both experienced and inexperienced teachers are welcome to attend. No prior knowledge of geogebra (which will be used) is assumed.
- Large data set requirements; what is meant by familiarity with the large data set?
- The use of stimulus questions and activities; interpreting graphs and summary statistics
- Making use of technology to promote familiarity and understanding of the large data set; Excel, GeoGebra and hands-on activities
- Teaching concepts through the large data set
- Assessment of the large data set; markschemes and examiners' reports
This is a repeat of the day offered in Barking in December 2019; feedback from this day included:
- "[It was] extremely useful to bring the laptop and have a go at the activities."
- "A really good and useful course to anyone teaching A Level Maths. Will definitely recommend to others!"
- "The speakers really know their stuff and are happy to advise you on any other questions you had at lunch etc."
Materials and Equipment
You must bring a laptop with you, ensuring you have Excel and GeoGebra Classic 5 installed on it.
A level Mathematics
Statistics, Problem solving, Use of technology
Face-to-face Professional Development
London and South East
University of Greenwich,
Thu 5th Mar 2020
09:00 - 15:30
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
07557 508 386
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard