Core Maths common topicsOnline
Live Online Professional Development (LOPD) courses form a programme of innovative online courses, designed to enable teachers to develop their teaching with confidence in a convenient, stress-free way.
LOPD courses are delivered using a browser-based online classroom that allows participants to collaborate online in real time. The courses aim both to cover subject content common to all current specifications and to facilitate the exchange of teaching ideas. Rather than attending a one or two day course away from school or college, participants will use the internet to meet weekly online.
This course covers the main topics which are common to all Core Maths specifications. Further topics to complete the content for each specification will be available soon via the On Demand Professional Development (ODPD) programme.
This course comprises of eight online sessions with an experienced tutor, each between 60 and 90 minutes in length and delivered in a small group of teachers, allowing opportunities for interaction and discussion.
- To provide teachers with an opportunity to improve or refresh their subject knowledge of the main topics which are common to all or most Core Maths specifications
- To provide opportunities to interact with course tutors and other delegates in a small group to discuss subject knowledge, resources and teaching ideas
Who will benefit from attending?
This course is suitable for a wide range of Core Maths teachers:
- Teachers who are new to teaching Core Maths
- Those wishing to refresh their teaching of the subject
- Teachers of other A level qualifications that use maths
- Discussion and context to introduce an idea (Fermi estimations and familiar stats)
- Sampling and data
- Financial maths
- Exponential growth
- Probability (Core Maths style)
- Using current ideas and topics from the news as applied to methods covered so far
Materials and Equipment
You will need access to a good internet connection, using Chrome or Firefox as a browser. You will need a headset with a microphone to engage with the live sessions and most courses also require a means of sharing handwritten maths, such as a mini-whiteboard and webcam, a visualiser or a graphics tablet. Full details of how to set these up can be found on our online classroom support page.
The order of topics may be subject to change.
A series of On Demand pods designed to complete the content for your Core Maths specification are currently under construction. Please see Core Maths top-ups for details of eligibility, what is already available and what will be developed soon.
The course fee is £195.
Course participants who are currently working in a state-funded school or college in England will be eligible to apply for a full reimbursement of the course fee. This will be awarded subject to the following conditions being met:
- the full fee has been paid
- the participant has attended at least six of the eight live online sessions for this course
- the participant has completed the feedback form for this course within two weeks from the date of the last session
- relevant contact details for the employing school or college have been provided on application (normally a bursar or finance officer and the participant's line manager).
For more information, visit our subsidies page.
|25 January||Discussion and context to introduce an idea (Fermi estimations and familiar stats)|
|07 March||Sampling and data|
|14 March||Probability (Core Maths style)|
|21 March||Exponential growth|
|25 April||Using current ideas and topics in the news as applied to methods covered so far|
|02 May||Financial maths|
Statistics, Pure, Problem solving, Use of technology, Curriculum planning
Live Online Professional Development
Sat 25th Jan 2020
09:00 - 10:30
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard