Teaching Mechanics in the A Level classroom - Newtons laws and connected particlesPlymouth
A comprehensive look at modelling and developing Mechanics teaching for the A Level course; offered as four bite sized courses.
Each course will look at how to model situations, give some practical approaches to teaching and develop concepts in Mechanics for A Level Mathematics.
Teachers can attend individual courses or can attend the whole series.
- To provide teachers with an opportunity to develop key Mechanics concepts
- To enable teachers to see how practical ideas and modelling can be used in the introduction and teaching of Mechanics
- To give teachers the opportunity to use resources and work on problems in Mechanics
Who will benefit from attending?
This is a set of Mechanics courses which are ideal for all teachers who will be teaching the A Level Mathematics course. They are particularly suitable for teachers who are new to teaching Mechanics, or who would like some fresh ideas on the introduction and development of topics.
- Motion in 1 and 2 dimensions
- Kinematics graphs
- Constant and variable acceleration
Forces, 12 March:
- Identification and representation of forces
- Application of vectors to forces
Newton’s laws and connected particles, 17 September:
- Applying Newton’s laws to a particle
- Developing Newton’s laws to connected particles
Projectiles and moments, 1 October:
- Motion under gravity in two dimensions
- Rigid bodies in equilibrium
Teachers are welcome to attend all courses, but may alternatively choose to attend those courses most appropriate. For example; just the “Projectiles and moments” course or alternatively any combination of two or three courses
Timetable for each course: (there will be flexibility in the timings during the course)
16:00 Registration and refreshments
16:15 Modelling and practical approaches
17:30 Resources, ideas, discussion
18:30 Plenary and feedback
A level Mathematics
Face-to-face Professional Development
Thu 17th Sep 2020
16:00 - 18:30
This event is free
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard