Teaching Mechanics in the A Level classroom - KinematicsPlymouth
A comprehensive look at modelling and developing Mechanics teaching for the A Level course; offered as four bite sized courses.
Each course will look at how to model situations, give some practical approaches to teaching and develop concepts in Mechanics for A Level Mathematics.
Teachers can attend individual courses or can attend the whole series.
- To provide teachers with an opportunity to develop key Mechanics concepts
- To enable teachers to see how practical ideas and modelling can be used in the introduction and teaching of Mechanics
- To give teachers the opportunity to use resources and work on problems in Mechanics
Who will benefit from attending?
This is a set of Mechanics courses which are ideal for all teachers who will be teaching the A Level Mathematics course. They are particularly suitable for teachers who are new to teaching Mechanics, or who would like some fresh ideas on the introduction and development of topics.
Kinematics, 11 February:
- Motion in 1 and 2 dimensions
- Kinematics graphs
- Constant and variable acceleration
- Identification and representation of forces
- Application of vectors to forces
Newton’s laws and connected particles, 7 May:
- Applying Newton’s laws to a particle
- Developing Newton’s laws to connected particles
Projectiles and moments, 13 May:
- Motion under gravity in two dimensions
- Rigid bodies in equilibrium
Teachers are welcome to attend all courses, but may alternatively choose to attend those courses most appropriate. For example; just the “Projectiles and moments” course or alternatively any combination of two or three courses
Timetable for each course: (there will be flexibility in the timings during the course)
16:00 Registration and refreshments
16:15 Modelling and practical approaches
17:30 Resources, ideas, discussion
18:30 Plenary and feedback
A level Mathematics
Face-to-face Professional Development
Tue 11th Feb 2020
16:00 - 18:30
This event is free
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact:
The AMSP, through MEI, holds the NCETM CPD Standard