Year 13 STEP Support ClassesLeeds
The AMSP is again working with the University of Leeds to provide a programme of STEP support classes for year 13 students.
The classes will be led by Dr Lionel Elliott who has been running them for many years. The sessions will take place weekly, usually on Wednesdays from 4pm to 6pm. During the first term, two classes will have to take place on other days due to Dr Elliott's existing commitments.
The first two classes before the half term holiday will be:
- Tuesday 15th October 4pm to 6pm
- Wednesday 23rd October 4pm to 6pm
Students will be provided with a schedule of classes for the rest of this term, and subsequently termly schedules through to the exams in June.
- To develop confidence and resilience in attempting maths problems.
- To provide students with the opportunity to study questions from the STEP examinations.
- To develop and practise the skills needed to tackle STEP questions
Who will benefit from attending?
Increasing numbers of universities, including Lancaster and York, encourage their mathematics applicants to take one or more of the Sixth Term Examination Papers (STEP). If a student narrowly misses their conditional offer, a pass in STEP makes it highly likely that the university will admit them. For Cambridge University STEP is used as part of almost all conditional offers, and Warwick University may require students to sit at least one STEP paper.
The following students are particularly likely to benefit from the classes:
- Year 13 students who are likely to apply to universities that require students to sit STEP or other entrance tests
- Year 13 students who will apply for a mathematics based degree at any university - studying STEP questions is excellent preparation
- Year 13 students who are taking STEP as a challenge
Approximately two thirds of questions are pure maths, and one third applied (mechanics and statistics) with papers covering the following content: STEP 1 - A level Mathematics, STEP 2 - A level Mathematics and AS level Further Mathematics, STEP 3 - A level Further Mathematics
The classes in the first term will focus on STEP 1 and the A level Mathematics content of STEP 2, before moving on to the Further Mathematics content later in the year.
Materials and Equipment
Students will need to bring writing materials and paper or a notebook, plus a calculator.
To obtain a booking form email [email protected]
Free to students from state funded schools.
University admissions tests, A level Mathematics, A level Further Mathematics
Mechanics, Statistics, Pure
Yorkshire and the Humber
Tue 15th Oct 2019
16:00 - 18:00
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact: